Well, looks like it is going to be a full moon w/ clear skies this weekend. Would I be wasting my time to call at night? What about in the morning?

Thanks!

Woodrow,

Night calling is a whole different game than daytime calling. If you hunt under a full moon, be sure to take advantage of the shadows from trees or bushes. Predators can see very well under a full moon like that. If it is legal to use a light when calling in your state, you would likely do better after the moon goes down.

I like to call my coyotes in daytime, and early morning is my favorite time.

Woodrow,

Rich C hit it on the nail, I would like to add one thing. For me midday to late afternoon is good time to make stands in tight spots with lots of cover, them critters will come to the call but don't seem to like the wide open much after full moon night. The last hour of daylight is my favorite time to call but many times you will run out of light at the wrong time,,,LOL

good hunting

sly

Wood person: I find that Full Moon is time to do anything but hunt small game/varmints. Perhaps during the day because they know they will eat poorly if at all during full moon. I am not 100 percent on this yet. Began a year or so ago due to our extensive weekend jack rabbit hunts. Without paying any attention to moon phase we would have some nights of 300+ kills and some with 5 or 10. Got to keeping records and found that the Full Moon was the worst time, not the best as I had always been told. Will try to find a link to discussion on the other forum about this topic. :ph34r:

:lol: I'll hunt whether it's a full moon or not! :lol:

i called during this full moon had some luck. but you will get busted alot more the varmints will hang up way out there on you. but at least i was gettint to hunt.but i like the day time the best early morning is best for me here.

Guys, take it for what it's worth and that ain't much lol. I use to hunt competition hunts about ten times a year, from 1975 to about 1988, then I slowed down lol. All our hunts were on or closest to a new moon. Night hunting is always best under a new moon or close to it and worst under a full moon. It is true you can get animals on any moon phase but there are better times to hunt and not so good times to hunt the night shift. I have found day hunting to be a little better when there is a full moon, I don't know if that would hold true across the country, but it seems to out west. Funny thing, if you check out the solor tables forthe best time to go fishing, it seem to hold true for predator hunting also :unsure: .....Good Hunting.

onecoyote, I have often wondered if the same tables for fishing are good for hunting too. I have had terrible luck when my logic led me to believe it would be great and of course just the oppsite at times. Like you :unsure:. However at least aroung here a good calling day they will seem to come in to anything. The more I hunt the more it seems to share ideas with fishing.

Good hunting.

I have tried it on a couple of occasions, but have been unsuccessful. Rich is right about staying in the shadows. We were hunting in large pastures with cattle and we could see the cattles backs shining at us about 500 yards away in the full moon. If we could see that far, the song dogs could see them a whole lot further away than that.