Sign in to follow this  
Bobcat

Hunting Stool

One the problems with calling at different times of the year is being able to see your quarry above the ground cover and grass.....especially for those of us that are more vertically challenged! I take a lightweight fold-up stool with me on most stands. I camo painted the legs. It allows me to see what is coming in to my call much better and lets me use my knee as a rifle rest. Here is the stool in action in New Mexico......

Good Hunting,

Bob

webstool.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

I just bought a three legged stool. I find it is better then the four legged in rough terain. and it comes in camo. as for the store it is a canadian store called Canadian Tire but I am sure wally mart would carry them to

if you cant find one let me know it was only $6 Canadian

thats roughly $4 american

Hey cdngunner,

That is what Bozo and Dead Eye use over in New Mexico. They were able to get them at Wal-Mart and like 'em!

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

I have tried a stool and don't use one for a few reasons.

1. Unless you have good back cover, it can cause you to be silhouetted.

2. If it raises you up so that you can see the coyotes easier........they can also see you easier......see #1.

3. It forces me to lean over to rest my elbows on my knees to shoot....... which is not a good position to shoot from (can't turn as easily).

4. They can be noisy as they brush and bang against the thick stuff when walking in to set up.

5. I fidget when sitting on one for any length of time because they are not comfortable for me (no back support).

6. It is just something else to carry to the stand.

7. I set up in an elevated position as often as I can (85% of the time), so they don't really offer much benefit to me.

If you are hunting flat brushy country, then I can see a benefit in using one.......but they aren't worth the trouble in my situation.

For the most part, I agree with GH on the stool issue. I find that I can generally set up in a slightly elevated position (like the edge of mesquite dune). Of course, when the wife goes along, we tote her little chair out there. She does just fine with it, but I prefer just to sit on my 2" thick foam butt pad for the most part. It's light, quiet, and easy to carry.

I prefer a folding soft seat like pictured below. It keeps my rear out of the stickers and thorns plus gives me back support for added stability while using my sticks. I picked up my seat at Academy but have seen them at Wal Mart.

Oh, that's a triple I busted while in the "chair".

triple_22-6mm.jpg

I go with the a Turkey Hunting Vest that has the seat built in. It has asjustable tension and back support and it works great. I can carry all my calls with me and more. I hunt with one guy that uses a chair and it seems that we don't call in as much when I am with him. When we do get something in you can tell they are watching him in the chair.

I also use a folding 3 legged stool that I wouldn't trade for anything. Where I hunt you almost got to be elevated a little to see over the tall grass and underbrush. I've almost wore this stool out already. I found it on ebay and it came with a carrying case. I put my shooting stick inside the carrying case with the stool and really don't have to carry much. Sometimes if I have my fanny pack on, I can stick the whole thing inbetween my fanny pack and back as I walk to my stand. Plus it doesn't take up too much room in the back of my Jeep.

I use one of the short turkey stools and the height is only about 5 inches above ground but its just enough to give you a better view but not too tall to expose you.I have heard rumors of Primos making a Varmit hunting vest that will be another nice choice with the fold down seat.

several year ago I had one the folding chair like the ones you would take to the beach. They are only four or five inchs off of the ground much like the turkey stools but you could get them for 7 or 8 bucks at walmart.

southtex

I use a turkey vest with a back rest. Plenty of pockets to carry everything in and all I have to do is grab it and go. My shooting sticks fit in it nicely.

I have an HS turkey hunting stool like the others have mentioned (4 legged web deal). I then bought a folding canoe chair with back that I leave strapped to the turkey seat. With only 5" of height (not 18" like most stools), it gets me off the ground, but not too high, has a back, and is very lightweight and easy to carry as the turkey chair comes with a strap.

One the problems with calling at different times of the year is being able to see your quarry above the ground cover and grass.....especially for those of us that are more vertically challenged! I take a lightweight fold-up stool with me on most stands. I camo painted the legs. It allows me to see what is coming in to my call much better and lets me use my knee as a rifle rest. Here is the stool in action in New Mexico......

Good Hunting,

Bob

webstool.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

One problem Bob they just not rated enough for me and that ground is harder now days lol.

Clint

I'm from Alberta,Canada and I found a 3 legged stool from a $ store for $2.

it is not camo but works great. keeps my butt off the ground and that's all

I need. LOL

Sign in to follow this