Sign in to follow this  
urcousinvinny

question about pelt values..

Vinny,

From what I gather they are not worth much of anything untill they are tanned.

Tanned fur even if not the best quality will make you some money but it takes longer to see it..

sly

Hi Sly Dog, thanks. I do not mind learning how to tan the hides and doing the work, but then what do you do with them after you tan them? Who will buy them? I just hate to see something go to waste. Thanks, Vinny

Same here urcousinviny

I have a few nice hides in the freezer that I would like to get tanned and would realy like to do it myself. I don't realy know how to do it though. I have heard people say there are easy ways to tan a hide with house-hold stuff. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money but I do want them to look nice. Any suggestions?

NechesBobcat

Hey Neches Bobcat, I found a website called Van Dykes Taxidermy supply, and they have this stuff called Lutan F Kit 100, item # 01347977. It is about $44 but it is supposed to be enough to do 100 lbs of dry weight hides, and it is supposed to do a really nice job. And I am sure there must be instructions or something. But my question is still that after I get them tanned, then what? I mean, who can we sell them too? ..Vinny

I got a letter in the mail a few months ago from a fur buyer in Maypearl, TX. I don't exactly know where it is but I can find it and give you the info.

You can usualy find a list of fur buyers in trapping and predator calling catalogs or magazines.

NechesBobcat

hmm, that is very interesting. I did not know that fur buyers would still buy Texas coyotes at any price. Just out of curiosity, see if you can find out how much Mr Maypearl would give us for our SE Texas coyotes if we tan them ourselves. I am wondering if he can give us enough to make it worth all the work. Maypearl is just a few miles south of Dallas. ..Vinny

Let me add some thoughts.......

First I would go to AllPredatorCalls.com and get Blaine Eddly's video: Hunting & Skining for Profit.

Then you can get this tanning kit to start:

Knoblochs - Para-Tan Kit

Knoblochs is one of the most respected names in taxidermy & tanning. This is the same products that leading award winning taxidermists and tanneries use. Kit contains: 1lb Citric Acid, 1lb Para-Tan powder, 16oz of Tanning Oil #1, and instructions with technical support phone number. The Para-Tan kit is designed specifically for taxidermy tanning where excellent strech, hair setting ability, and non-yellowing soft white skin are a must - perfect for rugs. *Kit provides enough product to fully tan 16 lbs of shaved, drained skins, or approx 3 deer capes or 2 back skins. Ideal for "rugging out" coyote, fox, bobcat, etc. for display in your den or family room. *You will need to provide (Kit does'nt include) 5-10lbs non-iodized salt, 1 box sodium bicarbonate, bucket/tanning container.

Display the fruits of your hunts - Turn those pelts into tanned hides & rugs

$24.95

Then.....when you have your pelts, I would think about getting a table at your local gun show or wholesaling them to a local outdoor oriented retail store. This way you can get $75-$85 each for them at retail or $40 wholesale for them. If you don't have hundreds, this may be a more profitable approach for you.

Here is a link to the tanning info at APC: APC-Tanning and Skinning Link

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

One source for a market for tanned hides is re-enacters and Rendevous (you know; where people dress up and play pioneer and indian)

Southern caught goods have had no commercial value for some time.....

North of the Mason Dixon line a person MIGHT if lucky get $10-20(coyote) for nice well furred , full prime (no latter that early January caught ) coyote. :o

One exception that occassionally arises is bobcat ...when the trim market is liking spots! :):)

Sign in to follow this