Bobcat

Rifle Choice for Predator Hunting?

What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?  

519 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?

• 17 Centerfire
    • 20 Tactical, .204 Ruger
    • 222 Rem
    • 223 Rem
    • 22-250 Rem
    • 220 Swift
    • 243 Win
    • 257 Roberts
    • 25-06 Rem
    • Larger Bore

I selected 25-06 as that's all I have (besides a 22LR, .357Mag, and 12ga). I've been thinking about adding another rifle for yotes and other varmints. Leaning towards the .223 as ammo is cheap.

How well does a .223 do on feral hogs? Assuming of course proper shot placement (behind the ear/neck area), distance (under 150 yards) and weight of pig (under 200lbs). I'm thinking it'll work, but feel it best to go with a .243...

A 223 or 243 is still considered smallish for hogs. I understand that proper shot placement is the excuse many use to hunt with an undersized caliber. However I would not like to pay a dollar for every hog killed with a .243 or smaller. My brother always told me to "watch out for the guy with only one gun. He can probably shoot it well"

I live on the Canadian River in Western Oklahoma...........for GP/Truck gun, i have a Bushmaster V-match; 4.5x14 Leuopold LR, comp trigger w/ a JP tension pin... It is deadly out to 350yds.......My new baby is a Remington 700 CDL in .243, I have fitted it with an HS precision DM floor plate and a Timney trigger at 3lbs......this rifle is also topped with the 4.5x14 Leuopold LR with the Varmint hunters reticle.....it will shoot sub MOA out too 300yds(have not taken it too 400 yet).................That reticle is an awesome tool that has so far worked well for me on targets and yotes.

How well does a .223 do on feral hogs? Assuming of course proper shot placement (behind the ear/neck area), distance (under 150 yards) and weight of pig (under 200lbs). I'm thinking it'll work, but feel it best to go with a .243...

When using a .223 for hogs or deer, yes, shot placement is important, but there is something else that is just as crucial, in my opinion, that hardly anyone ever mentions - bullet type and construction. I have done very well on hogs and deer with the .223, but I do not show up with 55 gr SX or VMAX or Ballistic Tip bullets. Nothing frangible. I use the 70 gr Speer SemiSpitzer. It has 2 characteristics that, to me, are crucial.

1 - it is heavy for caliber and therefore has an excellent sectional density which translates into incredible penetration. It will easily smash through a shoulder ball joint on a hog or deer, which helps you out a lot with your shot placement, because you don't HAVE to put your shot behind the shoulder or ear - if you put the bullet anywhere on the front half of the animal, he is toast. (Assuming of course, you don't hit him on a hoof or antler!)

2 - this bullet is expansive, but it is not explosive. It mushrooms very well indeed, but the bullet does not break apart. It will retain its mass even upon contact with heavy bone, which again, allows it to smash through a shoulder ball joint.

I am not saying to use this particular bullet, but I am saying to use a bullet that is long and heavy and expansive and above all, NON-FRANGIBLE! With the .223 - bullet type, weight, and construction is crucial, but is not this also true for a 470 Nitro on a Cape Buffalo? In fact, to me, bullet type and construction is WAY more crucial than group size at 100 yards, but yet group sizes seem to be mentioned 100 times for every one time that bullet construction is discussed..

These 70 gr Speers are the heaviest NON-FRANGIBLE bullets I have been able to find for the .223. There are certainly heavier .223 bullets out there, but all the ones I have seen are of frangible construction, rendering them WORSE THAN USELESS for hogs and deer. That's OK, though - I have not yet seen the deer or hog that could stand up against these 70 gr traditional hunting style bullets.. They simply create a coast to coast wound channel through bone or muscle that you would have to see to believe. They remind me a lot of the unreal killing power of the 6.5 mm's.

I shot a hog at my deer lease in San Augustine County last month with this .223 load. He was going away from me, so I had to make the old Texas heart shot. The bullet went lengthwise through the hog, destroyed the boiler room, and EXITED THROUGH THE CHEST! The bullet was never recovered. The hog nose dived and was DOA. The hog was about the same size as the first one I killed on the Posse hog hunt this past June, which weighed 135 lbs, I think. I probably would not have even attempted this shot with a Rem green box or a VMAX or a Bal Tip bullet. With the right bullet though, yes, the .223 is most definitely a legitimate hog/deer killer.

Tu Primo

Oh, but wait - I forgot!!! There is no legitimate sporting use for assault rifles!! DANG!!! WHY DO I KEEP FORGETTING THAT??? I cannot believe that I keep forgetting this accepted fact!! How can I be so stupid!!!??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bad news!!!

My wife just took a job in New Jersey!!!

OH SH_T!!!

The Ruger that I just did all the mods on is illegal there.

I need to have my head examined, but the Ruger will have to go.

JD

:(

Jeff you can always wish her the best of luck and tell her not to forget your phone number. Remember to send her a card on special occasions. :D

I hear in Jersey they have the big city version of prairie dogs. They have long tails and only come out at night. ^_^ Happy hunting.

Good luck with the move.

nunya

JD, I would be sick at my stomach to see you lose this rifle. You cannot lose this rifle. That is not an option. You have something very special in that rifle - believe me, I know. I want more than anything to see you find a way to hang onto this rifle. Let me ask you this - this job that your wife has taken - is this looking like a really long term deal, or do you think she may have this job for just a few years and then move on to something else? I am wondering about the possibility that she may have this job for just a few years, then she moves on someplace else, and maybe you can be reunited with your rifle. I truly want to figure out a way that you can have your rifle in some kind of safe keeping - and then one day be reunited with it. Talk to me my friend.. All I can think of right now is F%^&* NEW JERSEY and the communist motherf#$%^&* that inhabit that unholy, godforsaken wasteland!!!! If the Texans had not LOST to the 20th Maine at Little Round Top at Gettysburgh, Pickett's Charge would never have even happened, Robert E. Lee would have marched UNOPPOSED into Washington, DC, and you would not be faced with the horrible spectre of having to turn your back on this very special rifle today!!! I am sorry - I am having a difficult time describing with words the anger I am feeling right now after having read your post, JD..

I am as proud as anyone else to be a Texan, but NOTHING can erase the fact that our ROCKET SCIENTIST ancestors VOLUNTARILY VOTED AWAY THEIR NATIONAL SOVEREIGNTY AFTER HAVING FOUGHT AND WON A WAR OF INDEPENDENCE!!!! Our ancestors were the ONLY CIVILIZATION IN WORLD HISTORY to have fought and won a war for independence, and then voluntarily vote away that independence!!! And now we and our children will have to pay the price for the votes of or ancestors. And then, as if that were not bad enough, they LOSE to the 20th MAINE at Little Round Top, and as a result, JD is faced with having to hand over one very special rifle! MAINE???? FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - MAINE???????

There is something horribly wrong with this planet - something horribly wrong indeed.

Tu Primo

I am sorry, but there is something I have to tell you guys. I have a great-great uncle, whose name is recorded inside the San Jacinto Monument as having participated in the Battle of San Jacinto - and it absolutely turns my stomach to see that the way his contemporaries thanked him for his efforts was by saying,"No, we don't want to be an independent nation any more - we would rather VOLUNTARILY surrender our independence to a bunch of Northern Liberal Maggots than to be a sovereign nation.."

For anyone who thinks this election of 1845 does not have anything to do with JD being faced with the nightmare today of having to give up his very special rifle, I invite you most sincerely to take a closer look at US History, and even world history..

For JD to have to surrender his rifle - this die was cast in 1845, and was carved in stone on July 3, 1863 at Little Round Top... I was there a few years ago, and I believe that if the Texans and Alabamians would have had just a little bit of a better game plan, they could have had the hill with virtually no casualties and JD would today be able to tell the New Jersey communists to eat S%^%& and Die!!! (If I am off on the days, it is not by much, and I apologize..)

I do not even know how to tell you how sick I am that Texas and New Jersey are today a part of the same nation..

I am very well aware of the fact that there are good conservative people in New Jersey, and all I can say is that my heart truly goes out to them. They are the innocent slaves in Rome, and I pray for them..

Tu Primo

I'm with you brother.......why does any american vote away rights that were paid for in blood...............so on this MLK day I say ( with total respect )

I have a dream. I have a dream.

Texas as a Republic..........I would move south................amen.

Cat Daddy Cold

Cat Daddy, good post. I have had an interesting thought..

Where are the election results of 1845?

What if we did a hand recount, as the northern liberals are so in favor of, and discovered that in fact the Texans never did actually vote away their independence?

I have always been taught that this election was very close..

I was taught that Sam Houston said something to the effect that Texas could survive without the United States, but the United States cannot survive without Texas.. He said this just before the election of 1845.. Could he have been right?

The ballots of 1845 are still there. I say let us execute a hand recount and see if the people of Texas actually voted to surrender their independence or to remain a sovereign nation..

What if a hand recount were to show that the Texans actually chose to remain an independent nation..? Then where would we be? I do not know, but I say let's have a recount!!!! By Hand!!! Where are the ballots? They have to be somewhere..!

Tu Primo

Thanks for the support guys. You know if momma ain't happy, there ain't nobody happy. She got a great job running a hospital group up there so now she has something to keep her occupied instead of chewing on my fanny.

No telling how long we will be there. We would like to come back to Texas at the first opportunity.

As far as I can tell, there is no hunting with a centerfire rifle up there so I will probably hunt in the midwest or Canada on some package hunts.

Will keep you all posted

JD

JD, don't get rid of your rifle. Just hang on to it - you might not be in New Jersey forever - we don't know what the future holds for us. In a few years you might be out of that godless wasteland and you might be able to take your rifle hunting again.

But I still would like to know - the records from the 1845 election - where are they?

Tu Primo

nef handi w/bull barrel and laminated stock w/a bsa big cat (so far has only killed shoot and sees) and a BAR in .280 :)

Custom Martini in 221 Fireball

fireball1600.jpg