Bobcat

Rifle Choice for Predator Hunting?

What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?  

519 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?

• 17 Centerfire
    • 20 Tactical, .204 Ruger
    • 222 Rem
    • 223 Rem
    • 22-250 Rem
    • 220 Swift
    • 243 Win
    • 257 Roberts
    • 25-06 Rem
    • Larger Bore

Sharpshooter...You must be doing something right........my 22-250 rem vssf leaves a dime size entry with a fist sized exit.......may have to load some vmax and give them a try..

did not see my choice onthere either but after shooting a 222 for a few years. I am very glad to see the new 204 come out on the market I've be out sighting my new remington vls in at the range and I'm very impressed with this rifle, I would recomend it to anyone who askedme to put my6 two cent's in. I'm also a reloading nut . :wub:

YES SIREEE, the 222 has been my favorite but seems I've recently fell into the deep black hole ( you know-the hole you said ya wouldn't ever get close to, just couldn't see yourself hunting with one of those things, don't know why anyone would want one, a true varmint hunter shoots a bolt action, etc. etc.) yep I came outa that hole carrying an AR 15 E.B.R. PULL THE TRIGGER ON THAT CRITTER, SHOOT EM ON THE RUN GUN rifle in of course .223 So that being said, I guess my .222 may soon become a has been favorite. Time will tell!

See ya,

Right now I am using a 22-250 and a .243 for coyote will have a new .17 -.223

and a .20tactical next year for p.dogs and other varmits. Mountainman :)

Well my first choice is my Ruger model 77 in 22/250. But I have taken a few yotes with my Ruger model 77 in 257 Roberts. :biggrin:

since I hunt WMA's, I take a ......... 22Mag rimfire!! :blink:

gives me the options of Squill, "sitting still rabbits", turtle, and all them other critters.

I split up about 50-50 between the 22mag and a Shotgun, but once in a while take the .223.

the last time I took the .223 because I decided I would hunt over a large open area with an elevated calling spot, so 200-300-400 yards possible shots.

I recently got some good loads made for the .357 lever gun, and have it sighted in, so its next on the list.

soon as I get to the lease, that new ruger is going though.

well that would depend

calling from the high rack on the truck i got to go with my rem 223 varmint special

and my sandaro 300 wim .

now for walking around calling win ,modal 70 feather wait in 243 or my 223 model7

now in pa 22mag and 12gag

Actually a plain-jane 870 Express in 12 gag. saw more use than anything for coyote calling... But for rifles, the one I used most often was a "built" rifle in .22-250 Ackly Improved.

What rifle do you grab the most when you head to the field to go predator hunting? I personally like the 22-250............

Bob

I use several guns predator hunting, each under different conditions. For long shots from atop a plateau with a bipod i use a Colt accurized 223 AR 15 rifle with a Spring Field Armory 4x14-40 scope. For calling in close I use a Bushmaster 223 Carbine with an ultra sight. At night the carbine with a 4 power scope with a green illuminated reticle. Sometimes at night if i'm doing most of the calling I carry a Ruger 22 mag carbine or pistol. I'm lucky to have these options but retirement from coaching and teaching has given me the opportunity to have the time and money to spend on my son and grandsons to take them hunting. Most of my coaching profession I worked 7 days a week and did not know the enjoyment of predator hunting. I was mostly a bird hunter.

For the longest I had no choice but to use my trusty Remington 788 in .243. Now that I have the CZ in .204, its my favorite choice for coyotes/bobcats.

Verily I say unto thee.. After having seen Byron's videos, there is simply no way to dispute that the semi automatic .223 is the king of predator killing rifles.. Byron uses an AR, but it could also be an accurized Mini or an HK623 - doesn't matter. Either way, if you want to kill the most predators possible day in and day out, there is nothing that can outperform a semi auto .223. I cannot envision any reasonable person watching Byron's videos and then disputing this..

Tu Primo

PS: Oh but wait - I forgot - according to the gun control people, there is not supposed to be any legitimate sporting use for a semi auto .223 rifle.. Yeah, whatever..