Bobcat

Rifle Choice for Predator Hunting?

What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?  

519 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?

• 17 Centerfire
    • 20 Tactical, .204 Ruger
    • 222 Rem
    • 223 Rem
    • 22-250 Rem
    • 220 Swift
    • 243 Win
    • 257 Roberts
    • 25-06 Rem
    • Larger Bore

here lately (last couple of years) i have just gone to the 260 remington. its really a necked down .308 to a .264 (6.5 mm). i hand load a 95g v-max with win 760 to push it about 3050 fps...

my hunting partner has a 22-250 and one nite saw him nail a dog at 110 yds, roll it and then it ran off. ;)

that same night, i nailed one and it just laid down.. :D

got an old aggie buddy that shoot a 308 at coyotes. they dont run off much. :D

I use a .243win, loaded with 80psp's for the majority of calling stands. I also use either an open sighted AR or a shotgun when I'm calling and its my turn to run the camera. My hunting partner uses a .270 loaded with either 100 gr psp's or 90 gr TNT's. Just depends on where we go and what the plan is.

Cooper Montana Varminter in 22-250 or Remington 700 .222 rem.

Hi i like using my Rem 700 22 250 But i got a New Rem 700 223 for fox and cats i will have to wait until coyote season opens up in Sep. 1 to try it out and i also use my Rem 700 300 wby loaded with a 125gr BT if it is windy it will nock a hole lol cant wait to try the 223 out VM

I've been using my .17 HMR, but a friend of mine who is a gunsmith just put a .22-250 AI on my Howa action. The barrel is SS and I'm just breaking it in, but so far it's a shooter. I also have an AR15 with a flat top receiver that I'm also breaking in. I'm really looking forward to taking both of them out on some of the towns around Portales. Anyone have any suggestions about p-dog town locations that haven't had a lot of hunting pressure?

I have 3 rifles dedicated to coyotes, a 22-250 mod 700 sporter weight, a Rem mod 7 in 6mm Rem and a tuned up Sendero in 25-06. The 22-250 is my all time favorite coyote rifle.

I grab my custom build 6ppc for varmint hunting,now.It will take anything out to 500 yards without askip,if i do my part.Pushing the 65-70 grs. pills that seem to work so well in it. Vmax's,and Ballistic Tips work excellant.I want top build another 22-250 in the future,to have some long distance fun with.Anyone got any spare parts they want to get rid of? Lonestar

Savage model 12, varmit. 22-250 weaver 4x16 and a harris bi-pod

2nd is my handy Marlin 882ssv tricked out. 22mag

The 22mag is a eye splitter, and has taken critters out past 150yds. :D

I grab the Savage 222 Rem most of the time.But I also use a Savage in 22-250 and I just got a Remington 700 in 221 Fireball that I want to try out.And I always have my Browning A-5 12 Gauge in my car just in case.

Most often I grab a Bushmaster V-Match witha Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T mounted on it. If I do my part it's good on predator sized critters out to 300 yards.

Next choice is a Marlin 336 with an XS Sights Scout scope mount and a Leupold Scout scope.

Can you tell I like low powered optics with wide a wide FOV for moving targets? :P

My first choice was not on the poll list either.

.22 Ruger 77/22 in K=Hornet.

WELL,

I SHOT A 22-250 FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

GOT A 223 TWO YEARS AGO AND HAVE NOT SHOT A YOTE WITH THE 250 SINCE.

IN THE LAST 2 YEARS MOST OF MY SHOTS WERE 50 TO 150 YARDS. WITH ONE AS CLOSE AS 7 AND THE LONGEST 248.

45 GR WIN WHITE BOX WORKS GREAT-------------UNLESS YOU HIT THEM ON THE SHOULDER BONE---------THEN GOOD SIZE HOLE.

CDC

There isn't a bad choice on the poll list....

However, my favorite rifle at this time is my Remington 700 in the triple duece (.222) mainly due to the fact that I can shoot groups around 0.6 inches at 100 yards with it, while my current 22-250 can only manage around 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards....

It should be able to do better than that and I have tried several different loads with it... :angry:

I have a 257 rbts that I use for whitetail deer and my trusty Rem 22-250 teamed with the 50 gr rem v-max shells. It has knocked down every coyote that I was lucky enough to hit, nickel sized entry hole no exit. :lol: