Bobcat

Rifle Choice for Predator Hunting?

What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?  

519 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?

• 17 Centerfire
    • 20 Tactical, .204 Ruger
    • 222 Rem
    • 223 Rem
    • 22-250 Rem
    • 220 Swift
    • 243 Win
    • 257 Roberts
    • 25-06 Rem
    • Larger Bore

I voted for the 22 hornet today. The cat did not .

post-12355-0-15817900-1357090669.jpg

post-12355-0-15817900-1357090669.jpg

Hi Folks,

I'm really wanting to get back into predators, but I'm short on budget. I'm

recovering from my latest surgery.

I noticed a new/relatively new predator rifle. It is the Mossberg MVP Predator.

It's only in a 10 shot clip in .223/5.56 Nato. It also has a gray laminate stock.

I did a search and didn't the this rifle discussed. I know there's a lot of hunting

wisdom, so this is where I came for answers. Thanks for your time!

The 10 shot clip that's included, can be any AR clip!

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and New Year. :unsure:

Charlie, welcome aboard. And you're right: there's lots of knowledge that will be willingly and generously shared by the fine folks on this Forum.

First piece of advice: AR's don't use "clips;" they use magazines. As a matter of fact, about the only firearm out and about nowadays that uses a clip is the old M1 Garand! So, ditch the clip. :biggrin:

Secondly, you really don't need more than a 10 shot magazine to go predator hunting. I use 5 shot mags and take a couple of them with me so I can dump and reload quickly if my shooting is so bad.

Lastly, if the M'berg MVP fits your budget, go for it and work with it at the range until you're really comfortable with it. It will serve you well.

Have fun!

Welcome Charlie 1947, that Mossberg mvp is a great gun for the budget minded. Saw a few at the FTW gun show last time I went about $600.00 with a scope on it. 10 rounds is good unless you run into a mess of hogs, then you'll want a beta drum !

Charlie, welcome aboard. And you're right: there's lots of knowledge that will be willingly and generously shared by the fine folks on this Forum.

First piece of advice: AR's don't use "clips;" they use magazines. As a matter of fact, about the only firearm out and about nowadays that uses a clip is the old M1 Garand! So, ditch the clip. :biggrin:

Secondly, you really don't need more than a 10 shot magazine to go predator hunting. I use 5 shot mags and take a couple of them with me so I can dump and reload quickly if my shooting is so bad.

Lastly, if the M'berg MVP fits your budget, go for it and work with it at the range until you're really comfortable with it. It will serve you well.

Have fun!

Of course your right about magazines, I had a senior moment! The MVP just really looks like a predator getter.

I have 3-4 Senior Moments a day, Charlie! You go get that MVP and start choppin' 'em up!!

http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/clips-vs-magazines

hmmm........ Senior moment could very well be the right name. Depending on what era you come from.

Thanks Bwana, your a kind man! I truly know the terminology! I'm 67 and owned guns since I was 14. However,

12 years ago, my wife of 22 years came up with a rare cancer. Unfortunately, she was uninsurable at age eight.

So that 'lil deal cost me over $250,000.00. When I ran out of cash. my entire collection was sold for her. I did so

without thought. I lost her and my collection. Since then my health has been bad, but it's going to get much better.

After I heal enough, I'm getting my left knee replaced. My right knee was scoped last year, that will last awhile.

In a few months I will be able and desiring to get a predator rifle and skeet gun BTW, I used to manage a gun shop

in San Angelo. It TRULY was the brainfart of an ol' fart!

Kind Regards,

Charlie1947

when only after coyotes I will take a 22250 Encore rifle.. most times during the fox season it's one of the 17's. The 17 Hornet, 17 fireball, 17 Rem,. I truly love the `17 Hornet and the 17 Fireball but I do have 2 17 Rems that shoot well and when you think about it.. You could take that cal the 17 Rem and make it shoot like the 17 Hornet and the 17 Fireball if you reload...