Bobcat

Rifle Choice for Predator Hunting?

What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?  

519 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice for Predator Hunting?

• 17 Centerfire
    • 20 Tactical, .204 Ruger
    • 222 Rem
    • 223 Rem
    • 22-250 Rem
    • 220 Swift
    • 243 Win
    • 257 Roberts
    • 25-06 Rem
    • Larger Bore

What rifle do you grab the most when you head to the field to go predator hunting? I personally like the 22-250............

Bob

I dream of the day when I can select from several calibers :)

Now if you were to consider a HOG a predator.......then add my 45-70 to the list.

I guess my first perogative is to actually go and hunt...!! <_<

But for what it's worth, I am considering a .243 or 25-06 as the next Rifle caliber, and in either a Savage.....or ......a used Husqvarna!! (just a brand I have always wanted for personal reasons)

I picked a .223 due to the relativly low ammo cost, and will be considering reloading equipment costs as part of the next Rifle purchase. :unsure:

Old Purp, what else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really depends on where and what I'm calling. Small stuff , cats and under the 223. In open country or specific for yotes,,,the SWIFT man.

Okey_Bust.jpg

Remington VS in 220 Swift! Also as a walking varminter Savage 11F in 243 Win with 55 gr BT's at 4000 fps or so!

I said the .243, only because I don't have anything smaller (AR 15 with Iron Sights don't count).

But I have killed PD in Colorado with my .300 Win Mag and 180 Nosler BT. Does that count? :unsure: It was so hot on that Elk hunt we were hunting in T shirts! ;)

I take either a 222 Sako Rahimaaki clip gun, or my custom 6x45 that I built on a Sako L-469 action....I have shot a number of Mule Deer and Whitetail with the 6x45 and the old 75 gr. Barnes X bullets so it suits me as my all purpose varmint gun...

I really like my .223 (Rem 788) and that is what I voted for, but also really like my .222 (also a Rem 788) and .243 (Ruger M77). All are pretty durned accurate and do the trick, but the .223 just seems to be a cut above for intangible reasons.......

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim :lol:

p.s. Bob- good to see a poll on the new board. :D

;) Didn't see my 2 choices on the poll.....lol. :unsure: I am getting real fond of both my new rifles. (Both built by Mike Bryant). First is a 788 converted to 22 Dasher (8 twist) and the other is 700 in 17 MK4. Hey...somebody has to be different.....and when your old, you can forget what you liked yesterday, and pick a new favorite. :rolleyes:

My favorite predator rifle............. .223 Weatherby Super Predator Master.

Hooter :)

1st_called_in_coyote1.jpg

I have a Remington VSSF in 223 that I really like for prairie dogs and any other varmits. I also have a Remington 22-250 that is fast becoming my favorite for everything up to and including deer.

Usually take the Win model 70 featherweight 257 Roberts. Nice and light for hauling around and the 75 grain v-maxes carry very well in the wind. The rifle was given to me and this is the best use I can find for it. My 22-250 is to heavy to carry around and the rest of my guns are suited more for big game.