Bobcat

What Call Should I Get First.....

In a word, no. You can use a jackrabbit call very successfully in an area where there are no jacks. It is how you use it, your set-up, and being able to stay still that count.

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

FYI-I would post these types of questions below in the main calling forum. You will get more feedback.

In a word, no. You can use a jackrabbit call very successfully in an area where there are no jacks. It is how you use it, your set-up, and being able to stay still that count.

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

FYI-I would post these types of questions below in the main calling forum. You will get more feedback.

thanks ive no clue how to hunt varments but i aim to learn thx for help .

Thanks Bob. I had never used a hand call but have had limited success with my electronic call. Part of the reason for that was not studying up on the process and getting info from the posse. Well I took your advice and bought an ap-3 and a mini blaster. Since I liked blowing the mini blaster the best I stuck it in my pocket and forgot about it. Later in the day I took my father and father in law to a friends place to scope out some potential hog hunting. We were driving my kawasaki mule with dad's 30.06 on the rack just in case. After we finished and as we were about to leave I stopped on a fence line and told the dads that I was going to blow my new call just for grins. I blew on it a little bit and my dad commented that it sounded like a couple of 14 year old girls at a Ricky Martin concert ( they thought they were pretty funny). At that point I commented on how funny it would be if a coyote popped up with him not having his weapon off the rack and ready. Within 30 seconds and with us standing nearly in the open a coyote popped up out of the brush further down the fence line about 100 yards. He looked nervous but I'm not sure whose heart was pumping harder, the coyotes, mine or my dad's who had managed to get his rifle out. We didn't like the background of the shot we had so I just played with the call a bit until the coyote crossed the fence. Since we didn't have written permission to shoot on the property on the other side of the fence I'm sad to say that dog got away....and probably educated. I did comment to the dads, however, that I might oughta bring some 14 year old girls with me on the next call. ^_^ The next day I went out with my neighbor to a different place with my full gear and a serious attitude. After about 45 minutes with the mini-blaster and just about to call it quits due to failing light I spotted a bobcat (my first) on the tree line about 200 yards away. I was on the downhill side of a tank dam and my bipod wasn't long enough to give me a rest and my partner couldn't see it. By the time I got situated he was on the move to wind us and deeper into the trees. By the time we got another shot at him it would have been dark and we didn't have lights. Dissapointing in the fact that I didn't get a shot but a good education for me. I know the call works and I'll be better prepared next time I go out. I'm going to make some shooting sticks because this bipod never seems to be the length I need when I need it. Thanks for the heads up on the mini blaster. Now that I've gotten a taste of manual calling I'll have a whole new list of things to put on my birthday/christmas wish list.

This post is ALIIIIVVVVEEEEE!!!! :biggrin:

I sure like WF4 from Burnham Bros. Just ordered a call from Mr. Shockler and it has really good sound, just haven't gotten a chance to give it a try.

The mini screemer has been in my arsenal of calls for many years. Can not say enough about how well it has worked and do not let the name fool you that darn thing is loud as all get out. My brother still holds his ears any time he even sees me holding it.

The mini blaster is absolutely amazing. My recommendation is start off with a relatively low volume. Increase slightly after three to five minutes. Gradually work up to a more frenzied sound. Rest four to five minutes between series. Make it sound as realistic as possible. Be patient. Good luck pard.