Bobcat

What Call Should I Get First.....

I get asked a lot about what call to start out with. I usually recommend a good closed reed production call like the Sceery AP-3 Jackrabbit Call. First, it is very easy to blow well without a lot of practice. It will call coyotes, fox, and cats anywhere.......whether you have jackrabbits or not. The mouthpiece is designed like a pipe's so it is easy to hold in your mouth. The body of the call is made of camo'd rubber so it doesn't "clang" around and make a lot of noise banging into things as you walk to your stand. The reed is also very easy to change when the time comes.

AP-3

SceeryAP-3.jpg

Some of the other production calls that I currently carry with me are the Burnham Brothers Mini-Blaster, Crit'R Call Pee Wee, TS Calls Original Production Call by T.J. Shockler(he has a new one now), Varmints Inc. Sweetpea, Arkyyoter's Coaxer by Joe Bradshaw, Rhino Game Calls Black Rhino by Jay Nistetter.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Burnham Bros. Mini-Blaster

MiniBlaster2.jpg

Crit'R Call Pee Wee

critrcallpeewee2.jpg

TS Predator Calls by T.J. Shockler

TS-HP_zpsea7b4eb4.jpg

ts-TJSchoklerProduction.jpg

Varmints Inc. Sweetpea

VarmintIncSweetpea.jpg

Arkyyoter Coaxer by Joe Bradshaw

joecoaxer1.jpg

Rhino Game Calls Black Rhino by Jay Nistetter

Rhinoprod.jpg

Asoooo grasshopper,

Would you mind telling me what are the better points of the last two and do you carry a howler with you? :unsure:

Thanks P

With the surigal tubing over the metal reed, the Mini-Blaster allows you to make everything from a jackrabbit to a cottontail distress, as well as good pup whines. It is small and very easy to carry. It is also very easy to learn to use.

The Crit'R Call Pee Wee does the same as the Mini-Blaster, but it will do more (like fawn bleats & howls) and is an open reed call. It is a bit harder to master but comes with excellent directions and is easier to use than many open reed calls.

I do use a howler. I have several of them. I would not worry about howlers for now.

Good Hunting,

Bob :P

so I think I want a closed reed call then as they are easier to learn to use, I also think they would be tougher,

I am looking at this pack,,,,as I need a video as well or would like one,

is the advantage to carrying multiple calls if a yote hangs up on one you can hit them with another?

well I,m getting the Sceery western kit, comes with the AP-3, and the Sceery howler kit as well.....want to play with the howler and it comes with a video. or two.

Thanks thats good news for me,,,,They looked and seen to have a rep for being tough and easier to use than some others.

Will have one in my truck at all times and in my pocket whenever in the woods!

Well I called up my cat with the AP-2 cottontail,,,,she ran right by me looking hard, I then switched to the howler and probably scared one of her 9 lives outa her, she was sure one was in the garage with us.

Going deer hunting this saterday and will have the AP-2 or AP-3 with me,,,,

Can you do a fawn bleat with one of those,,,,,I tried last night and seemed to get close?

I was just getting ready to ask the same question in a new topic but found this one,,the wealth of info here is outstanding, I was wondering if maybe someone has a kit that might include a few calls to get started with?

Thanks

VTR

Funny you should ask, Ed Sceery does. It has a video as well. AP has them at AllPredatorCalls.com:

Sceery Game Calls - Western Predator Kit #APK-W

Top choice of government hunters in both the United States and Canada. Even the most call-shy varmint will respond to the authentic sounds of these expertly designed and carefully hand-tuned calls. Hand-crafted of non-reflective, soft camouflage rubber and equipped with a hand-tuned, quick-change reed and a matching braided, nylon lanyard. These are super effective for calling all North American predators-coyote, bobcat, fox, wolf, mountain lion and bear. You'll appreciate the solid, comfortable feel of the ribbed barrels and the extra volume produced by the stepped-tone sound chambers. Kit contains: AP-1 Rodent Call, AP-2 Cottontail Call, AP-3 Jackrabbit Call, and the PV-2 Video - Ed Sceery reviews how to blow and operate the different predator calls for best field results. 30 minutes VHS

APK-wa.jpg

Here is the link to them.

APC Sceery Link

You can always click on the APC link on the top of the main page of the Posse to get there as well. AP is great to do business with and is a stong, unsolicited supporter of the Posse. In other words, his link is here because I like the way he does business. It is not a paid add.........

Good Hunting,

Bobcat,

Thanks for the info,got one on the way,should get me started,

Again thanks for your help

VTR

Hey VTR,

We will look for some photos of you and critters with your new call/s.

Good Hunting,