Jump to content
GonHuntin

lightning is not your friend!!

Recommended Posts

I'm back online after having no internet for 9 days due to a lightning strike on our house on Saturday, 4/29.

 

Our wireless internet is supplied through an antenna on the roof of our house, it was hit by lightning Saturday morning, the strike blew up the receiver and started a fire in that room!! Luckily we were home and were able to quickly put the fire out while it was small, I have been dealing with insurance and contractors since that day.

 

The fire damage was relatively minor, the antique desk the receiver was on was damaged, the carped was burned and the wall was scorched, we lost one freezer, the kitchen range, the home alarm system and my internet router. The HVAC was damaged (still waiting to see if it is repairable), the phone wiring was fried and the main breakers were welded into the electrical panel requiring replacement of the entire panel. Even with all that we feel lucky that we were home and the house didn't burn to the ground!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry it had to happen, Mark. That is a heck of a lot of damage you sustained. I hope the insurance company treats you right on this, and everything gets back to normal soon. I know it's a lot of trouble and headaches at the very least. Best of luck.

 

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a good thing you were home to shut the fire down quick . Too bad it done so much damage . Thank goodness you are both unharmed .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We feel really lucky!!!

 

I am amazed at how much damage it did even though it did not come in through the electrical system. It killed one side of the main breaker causing current to back feed through circuits.......before the electrician got here, the garbage disposal switch would turn the den light on and off!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lightning strike is the gift that just keeps on giving. We had damage due to a strke on our neighbors house. Did not hit us, just close enough. Very much a pain to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

......before the electrician got here, the garbage disposal switch would turn the den light on and off!! :D

You should have left it that way. Would have been quite a conversation piece! ^_^

 

OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow...glad you both are OK and that you were home to prevent the fire from spreading. The force of Mother Nature's is both amazing and terrifying at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

......".before the electrician got here, the garbage disposal switch would turn the den light on and off!! :D​"

 

That would be hilarious if not for the extreme seriousness of the whole situation. Glad you were home and able to mitigate your fire loss. Good luck with the insurance. Hope you are as lucky as I was when my home got hit by a tornado. The adjustor was very kind and understanding with our losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×