Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Ever Heard of a Bump Stock?

My son-in-law brought his .223 AR over this afternoon to do some shooting to try out his new "bump stock" that he had installed. I had never heard of one. I didn't exactly catch all that was involved, but included is a special handle mounted on a rail underneath the barrel, and some sort of stop around the trigger that allows you to hold the trigger down all the time if you want to, and keep firing....the recoil of the gun itself does the moving of the trigger. What it boils down to is as close to a fully-automatic AR as you can get and still be legal, at least according to him. He emptied a 30 round magazine in 2 1/2 seconds. He said it came with a letter from the ATF stating that it was legal to install on an AR.

He had two mishaps while going through 5 magazines that way that would have made me never use the gun in that fashion again. First, one of the cartridges had the bullet backed almost all the way back into the case, causing it to jam and not to load, thank goodness. I suspect the violent action in the magazine due to the simulated "fully automatic fire" was the culprit. It was not a crimped cartridge, which I think it should have been used that way. The second mishap was a cartridge lodged in the chamber that he had to beat out using one of my cleaning rods, without knowing whether the cartridge was fired or unfired.

I kept waiting for the cops to show up because of neighbors around reporting someone firing a fully automatic weapon, which is exactly what it sounded and acted like. Accuracy was horrible. He had me film him with his phone, and I'll bet he's going to put it on UTube. He seemed to enjoy what he did, and didn't seem worried about the fact he had shot up about $75 worth of shells in about 13 seconds, not counting down time.

Just curious if any of you know what the "bump stock" is, and why in the world anyone would want one.

OP

Have heard of them , never have tried them . Waste of ammo to me . Being an old M60 gunner , auto fire is not that impressive to me .

I have no use for things like that and consider it a huge waste of ammo, just like Bennie said. But I guess I could say I sort of did have a bump stock -- if a homemade peach stock with a knot near the comb counts. After all, it DID have a bump. :D

I have one and have never tried it. I bought a Egyptian Maadi AK 47 off a guy who was out of work and needing money . It had a bump stock around 40 magazines and over 3000 rounds of ammo in the Ham cans for next to nothing . Its a typical AK 47 not real accurate firing 1 at a time just never had the urge to let it fly . Maybe some time if I get real bored I might give it a burst . Like Bennie Ive got lots of time in the military with real full auto the way its set up to work doesn't look to impressive to me either.

Mark

If I can, I will get the video I shot off his camera and post it here later for you who might be interested to see. it is definitely a waste of ammo, and I can hardly believe the ATF says it's okay to install one on an AR. Might take me a couple of days, but I will eventually get the video.

OP

Jerry

ATF approved them because you are physically pulling the trigger with each shot , by the recoil moving the stock . I have a copy of the letter from the ATF but that still don't mean that they wont pop up someday and change there mind about it.

Mark

Jerry

ATF approved them because you are physically pulling the trigger with each shot , by the recoil moving the stock .

I suppose it could be looked at that way, but the fact of the matter is that the finger's only purpose is to provide something solid for the trigger to run into on the way forward from the recoil. It's a little disconcerting to witness.

OP

Jerry

Heres a picture of the one I have The part I circled is what moves your finger off the trigger as the stock moves.

Mark

post-20177-0-90705200-1493844463.jpg

Mark, his is a little different from that....that part you circled comes all the way up to his trigger and stops short of encircling it, but not by much. He also has a rail underneath the barrel on which is mounted a handle that reminds you of the handle on a Tommygun of the '30s. It is not rigidly in place, but moves back and forth somewhat with the shot, allowing the gun to move backwards no matter how hard you hold it. I asked his wife (my daughter) last night if she could get him to email me the video, but so far I haven't gotten it.

OP

Jerry

I had it locked in semi fire only in the first picture heres how it looks when its in slide fire mode the trigger is covered

.Ive seen the one for the AR and its some different from the AK but they both function the exact same way.

Mark

post-20177-0-31742200-1493908661.jpg

Jerry

Heres a copy of the letter that comes with them saying why its not actually full auto.

post-20177-0-77555500-1493910243_thumb.jpg

That looks very similar in that view. It was all so different and new to me, I'm sure I missed details or even mis-saw details. I was more interested in it being over with than in figuring out the exact functioning. My target is a 4' X 4' square of 4 layers of bridge timber, and I doubt he hit it more than 20 times from 25 yards out of the 150 shots fired. I worried about where the other 130 bullets went, and what the neighbors down the street thought was happening. That is one toy I can definitely do without.

OP

Jerry

Heres a copy of the letter that comes with them saying why its not actually full auto.

Having read that letter, it doesn't appear to me the folks at the technology branch of ATF understood what the "bump-stock" was capable of doing in 2010, The part about "limited mobility of hands" is thin at best. What the bump-stock does is to allow anyone to create a very dangerous weapon in the hands of the wrong people.

OP

OP - I remember when those first came out. I agree with you that they are useless, unless your only goal is to waste a lot of ammo. Along the same lines I remember seeing videos of guys "bump" firing the AK's with them slung low down by their hip. You can empty a mag pretty quick, but what are you hitting.

Sign in to follow this