Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Warfarin is Gone for Hog Control in Texas

I heard on the news last night that the company that produces the Warfarin for hog control is pulling out of certifying it for use in Texas. Probably good for hog hunters, but I'm not sure how landowners will feel about this development. Anybody heard any comments from landowners in your area as to how they felt about it? I imagine feelings will be mixed.

OP

In this area, I've conversed with 9 different landowners. Six of them either hunt or allow hunting of hogs on their land. None of them get any monetary benefit from the hunting as they allow either friends or family to do the honors. Five of these were against the use of the warfarin. The 6th was "not completely against" it but wanted to see some unbiased data before deciding either way -- a sentiment many seem to echo on forum discussions.

There are also 3 landowners who do not hunt and do not have anyone hunting their land (two have trapped hogs). All three use their land for crops -- and NONE of those three wanted Warfarin on their land, even though all three admit they've suffered crop damage from hogs in the past.

Adding myself to the mix -- I'd fit into the first group as we shoot them a bit -- there would be 9 against the use of the toxin with one undecided. I am not aware of anyone around here who'd actually go for the poisoning of hogs with Warfarin.

Sign in to follow this