Sign in to follow this  
Bennie

Got a couple pigs this weekend

Porker from this weekend . Turkeys didn't want to play , but Clint got a big boar and I got this sow . Plus Clint killed a rattler about 2 1/2 foot long . Also a Grey Fox came in while I was calling , trying to figure out how he could get him a Turkey supper . He got a 100 grain Rage Broadhead . Didn't have a camera with me for the Fox , but smoked it with a crossbow at about 20 yards or so .

scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net

Pretty big sow, too. Sounds like you both had a pretty eventful week-end. Keeps things interesting.

OP

I agree with OP: that much activity sure keeps things interesting -- and keeps the trigger finger in practice ha ha. Well done all the way around!

I didn't know you hunted with a crossbow, too, Bennie. I've never shot one, and don't know much of anything about them. What would be the outside limit of a shot with one at a decent size target such as a deer or a hog?

OP

OP , I've pretty much just started with the crossbow . I blew my shoulder out again and will hopefully rehab it back . This is Billie's crossbow , but may have to resign myself to one if the shoulder doesn't get right . Hurts my shoulder and elbow when I draw my bow . I've heard of people taking really long shots with them . I am not that confident with it yet , I'd say about 30 maybe 40 yards if the critter is in a relaxed state , 20 if their not . But that is just me . I know it is a good shooter , at 30 I can center punch the target .

OP-Much like Bennie said, I consider 30 yards about max for deer or hogs unless things are perfect -- and they seldom are in hunting. I did take a spike at 33 yards, but there was good daylight (around 8:30 a.m.), there was no wind and the deer had no idea I was there. They can be very accurate if set up properly and teamed with a bolt and broadhead that it likes (as in firearms, they have their preferences as to what shoots best). Softball-sized or smaller groups at 50 yards are no problem. But I just don't feel comfortable shooting at a deer at that range because far too many things can go wrong.

I did kill a coyote at 45, but the 33 yard shot on the spike is likely to be the longest I will ever try on a whitetail or hog. And I really prefer 25 or closer.

Bobby, softball size groups at 50 yards would be amazing to me. From what you and Bennie have said, it seems that the crossbow relates pretty closely to what a decent compound bow is capable of. I suppose you can use a rest (?) when using a crossbow, and that might give it the advantage if that is true. Years ago, I could do pretty well with a compound out to about 25 yards, but past that I didn't have much confidence, so I never bow hunted all that much. Now, like Bennie, I doubt I could draw one back. I hope it continues to work out for you, Bennie, until you can get your shoulder back.

OP

OP-You should give a crossbow a whirl. I used to use a compound way back when and then a recurve. I got really frustrated when my health issues stopped me from being able to use it, but my best friend intervened, found an older/used PSE, bought it and gave it to me -- and told me I was indeed going to stop being stubborn and try it. I am glad I did as I found out I really enjoyed it -- and then managed to kill several deer with it.

Since then, I have tried several, including an expensive Excalibur, but what I have been using for about 3 years now is a fairly inexpensive PSE Fang that Bev got for me at Academy. . The kit was something like $299, but I quickly ditched the scope that came with it and replaced with a Nikon Bolt. It is consistently more accurate than any of the others I have tried and has given me zero problems. The others were good but seemed very picky about what they shot well, and all seemed to change POI a bit over time. But so far, the PSE Fang has been a model of consistency.

Here in Lavaca County, the crossbow is the only way I can kill a doe. There are far too many, but the TPWD is doing nothing about amending the regulations. And very few use archery, so we are facing a growing problem. Co-ops aren't the answer as some folks aren't honest about the game counts and lie to get more doe tags. I've seen it happen in an area that was fairly well balanced in terms of ratios, yet folks managed to get quite a few doe tags, and after three seasons, there were virtually no deer to be seen anymore. But that's a topic for another day...

Curtis (Hico44) and Kerry both shoot Fangs and seem to like them really well . I'f I break down and buy me one , so Billie can have hers back , it will probably be a PSE . Don't know what model , but the Fang does look tempting for the price .

Bobby, I have 2 cousins in Oklahoma that hunt with crossbows, and have for years. They usually come down to Belton (a suburb of Salado ^_^ ) for the parade on the 4th of July. I think I will see if they will bring one down so I can try it out. I doubt I will ever buy one, but I am curious enough to want to see what I could do with one, not that I would ever use it on the neighbor's pit bull that caught our little dog once. I think I'm too far over-the-hill to seriously get into crossbow hunting, but as I said, I am curious.

You mentioned that the crossbow is the only way you can get a doe in Lavaca County. Are doe legal during either bow or regular season with a bow (or crossbow) without a MLD permit? I can't find my hunting regulations guide anywhere right now, so I'm in the dark about that right now.

OP

OP-I apologize. I was vague on the regs and referring to my own personal situation since I can no longer handle a compound or recurve. Anyway, it's archery-only here for does, and ONLY during the archery season. You can't take a doe during the general season with archery unless you have MLD tags or belong to a co-op. And, of course, with MLD or co-op situations, you can use rifle, pistol, archery, etc.

If you are going to be this way any time soon, you are welcome to take my crossbow to try out. As long as we get it back by the end of September, all is well!

Thanks, Bobby, I appreciate the offer, even though it's doubtful I can make it down there any time soon. As to the hunting regs, it's never ceased to amaze me some of the regulations they come up with for various counties. I used to hunt near Teneha in East Texas, close to the Louisiana border. You could only take doe the first 2 days of the season and during the 4-day Thanksgiving weekend, even though doe were plentiful, and bucks were rare. The other way around would have made a lot more sense to me. I sometimes wonder who comes up with the dates and limits, and what information if any they used to base their decisions on. I have a feeling a very few influential landowners in a county account for most of the decision making.

OP

Sign in to follow this