Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Tomek

SB Polar scores 1st kill

coon-first-kill-with-SB-Polar-4-5-17_zps

Well, it wasn't what I wanted to pull the trigger on, but I took a boar 'coon in the partial moonlight just before midnight tonight.

I had stepped outside to take a peek for hogs, and -- after letting my eyes adjust for a few minutes -- I noticed this coon near a protein feeder set up for the deer. He was actually between the feeder and a batch of corn soured in expired prickly pear puree I was given, and any time a deer tried to approach the protein, he charged at it and ran it off. This went on for 9-10 minutes before I had enough and decided to end his hostility.

From a solid rest, I settled the half-MOA dot of the Schmidt Bender Polar 3-12x54 -- which was set on 10x -- on what I perceived to be low on the shoulder and touched off my 7mm Bullberry. There was no mistake about the shot as the impact of the bullet was quite loud, the 120 grain Nosler BT smashing though both shoulders and killing the boar coon instantly.

It wasn't the target I had hoped to connect with, but it felt good to christen the scope. If the weather and this decrepit body will cooperate, I hope to take a few more late-night looks during the next week or so as we should have good lighting conditions. But so far, I am definitely pleased. While certainly not perfect, the Polar offers more moonlight capability than any other scope I have ever tried.

PS-Pardon the slobbered-up hair on the raccoon. Our dog Charlie decided to worry the carcass a bit while I retrieved the camera, and I didn't have anything to wipe it down and didn't feel like going back inside.

Forgot to say: the 'coon was several yards to the right of the 155 yard feeder and a couple yards beyond it as well, so we'll call it app. 157 yards.

Bout time you bloodied that thing . Great shooting on a small target at that range .

You should name that scope the "Polar Express". Good way to break it in.

OP

Sign in to follow this