Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Don't Know About These RCBS Instructions

I have the RCBS TC (taper crimp) Carbide dies that I just got for reloading for the .380. According to the instructions for seating and crimping, you should be able to do both in the same step if you adjust the seater die according to their method. The way they describe it, you go ahead and seat the first bullet to whatever the C.O.L. is, back off on the seater pin, and screw the main die down until you get the taper crimp you want, which is about .002"-.003", which I did. Then you screw the seating pin down until it just contacts the top of the bullet, lock it down, and all the rest should seat and crimp to those specs, meaning the C.O.L. and taper.

So I put the next primed and powdered case in, put the bullet in the mouth of the case, lowered the lever, and crushed the case with a nice crease in the case just below the seated bottom of the bullet. Apparently the tapered crimp was applied before the bullet was fully seated, and thus the crushed case. The rest of the loads I separated the seating from the crimping, and didn't ruin any more. I'm wondering if I misinterpreted their generic instructions, or if the .380 is not meant to be seated and crimped in the same operation? I have Lee dies for my 9mm, and they have a separate taper crimp die, and have never had any trouble loading for it. Any observations/advice/suggestions will be appreciated, if you have ever tried this yourself with RCBS or similar dies.

On the plus side, the ones I loaded shot and cycled well in my Ruger LCP, and were more accurate than I would have anticipated. I used 100 gr. Berry FBRN bullets (the cheapest) over 3.0 gr. of W231 powder, and Winchester primers, a load you won't find any data for in any of my manuals, but it works without any obvious pressure signs or excessive kicking.

Again, any ideas on the crushed case are welcome.

OP

Jerry

The one that got crushed was the OAL still close or some shorter . Could you have turned the seater screw as you were locking it down , wouldn't take much to cause the crush.I don't have any RCBS pistol dies so never had this problem myself. Have fallen in love with LEE factory crimp dies .wish they made them for everything I own,

Mark

Hard to say now, as I just pulled the bullet prior to getting rid of it. I was pretty careful after I got the right taper crimp adjustment to lock the die in place before screwing the seater pin down onto the top of the bullet. It should have worked, but didn't. It's not a whole lot of trouble separating the two processes, except that I have to get the taper crimp set again after seating the bullet, which is somewhat of a pain. I will probably end up buying a Lee taper crimp die to go with the RCBS dies just so I can leave everything set once and for all. Ticks me off, however, because I have always liked the RCBS products, even though they are more expensive than the Lee products. The other thing you can't do with the RCBS dies is to combine expanding the case mouth with loading the powder. If I had it to do over again, I think I would opt for the Lee 4-die set and be done with it.

OP

Jerry

You can see Im lazy have a LEE Classic press with 4 hole adapters have them all set up and adjusted , don't use the auto advance except for some hand gun calibers

post-20177-0-14743700-1490832154.jpg

That is waaaay too neat!! I would show you a picture of my reloading area, but the camera refuses to be a part of any such foolishness. If you can't trust a camera, who can you trust?

OP

Maybe but theres not a picture of my loading bench its not neat at all but I know where everything is most of the time. Right now its a total mess Im building a couple of muzzleloader kits on it .

Sign in to follow this