Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Tomek

the very last one...EVER???

polar-1_zpsksfpc06u.jpg

polar-2_zpsknwnz1cg.jpg

...or not. As some of you know, I sold off some of my guns and other things a while back so that I could upgrade my optics.Since I can't spend any time afield & only do a bit of sniping from the house, my shot opportunities are rare, and of those I am fortunate enough to be presented with, most involve moonlight opportunities on hogs.

I've gone through lots of scopes in search of that non-existent "perfect" one, and I've finally found one that does better than all the rest when it comes to low-light situations. I've compared Kahles, Leica, Meopta, Schmidt Bender, Zeiss, Swarovski, Hensoldt and others and have spent countless hours gauging resolution and usable image quality in twilight and did so using not only optical charts but live game and stationary targets as well. None are perfect, and I have found fault with all. But the Schmidt Bender Polar T96 3-12x54 with D7 reticle certainly brings on a smile.

It is definitely the brightest rifle scope -- yes, brighter than the Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 for anyone who may ask -- out there and resolves enough detail to make those difficult night-time shots possible. The illuminated dot is small and unobtrusive. And its contrast level when light is all but gone allows you to "see" into the shadows exceedingly well.

No, it's by no means perfect, either. I'd prefer the intensity of the dot adjust one level lower. I'd prefer a slightly heavier center wire in the D7 reticle. And for someone with RA and neuropathy, that super-sweet-looking and smoothly-surfaced metal magnification ring can be a slight hindrance. But so far, it the THE best out there -- for me, at least -- and I've tried virtually all of the true contenders. And I say without reservation that SB's claims of it being the world's brightest rifle scope are spot-on.

Of course, it had to be mounted on my beloved 7mm Bullberry. It sits in medium Warne rings, is sighted in and now just lacks a suitable piggie to be used on.

Will I change scopes again if something else shows promise? Anything is possible, but I don't see another scope unseating the Polar any time soon. After all, too many manufacturers are geared towards tactical offerings and ungodly million-times zoom magnification ranges. Of course, that hinders low-light performance and why the brand-new Zeiss V8 series doesn't do as well in low light as do the older Victory and Victory HT scopes and their 4x zoom ranges.

Sounds about as close as you can get it . Now shoot some porkers .

If it's any better on the hogs than the ones you have been shooting lately, I feel sorry for the hog population in your area. Best of luck with it.

OP

Sign in to follow this