Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Bulging a few cases in reloading for the .380

I just got the .380 RCBS TC carbide dies in a couple of days ago, and although I haven't gotten the bullets in yet, I decided to go ahead and do the adjustments on the sizer/decapper die and the expander die. All went well until I got to the expander die. It is the "stepped" variety, if that means anything to you. With PPU once-fired cases, the expander die seems to give them a slight bulge down at the point the expander ball goes the deepest, which is not very deep. It is visible to the eye, but I am not sure how much is there when checked with the micrometer. I also have other brands of cases, like Federal and Remington, and they don't show any bulge at all. My guess is that the PPU cases, made in Slovakia or some place like that (actually, they are made in Serbia I have learned), are thinner in the case walls than the others, and thus the bulge. Does that seem about right, or am I on the wrong track? Since I don't have the bullets yet (Monday probably), I can't finish them off to see if one will load, but I don't need a stuck loaded bullet in my little Ruger LCP come Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated at this point. I've never had this happen on any of the 9mm cases I have loaded using the Lee dies. And by the way, RCBS could do a better job of writing their instructions, in my opinion. One little folded up set of instructions to cover every conceivable caliber doesn't seem to cover all the nuances a person can run into. P.S.: don't remind me that .380 shells are too inexpensive to reload for....I knew that going in, but this is supposed to be a time-killer, and it is certainly doing that so far.

OP

Jerry

Its probably the thickness of the PPU cases as Ive had 45ACP cases do the same just a slight bulge but after finishing loading them haven't had any problems with them. Havent got around to loading any 380 yet I need to I have plenty of empty cases .Ive mostly gone to all Lee Dies only ones not are some calibers they don't make and I had to get a different brand .

Mark

I probably should have gone with Lee, too, but I have always liked the RCBS presses and I have some RCBS dies that I have been using for over 45 years, and they still function flawlessly. However, my 9mm dies are Lee, and it would probably have been better if I had stayed with them on two calibers so similar. And it may not be the dies' fault. I need to weigh the PPU cases compared to the Remington and Federals to see how they stack up weight-wise. That may answer my question. However, right now that's about all the cases I have, until I can find some at a reasonable price or get a friend of mine to pick some up at his gun range for me. It's private and he can do what he wants to there as far as collecting spent cases. He got me about 800 9mm cases last year, so maybe he can find some .380 in the mix.

OP

The Corpus Christi pistol and rifle club is where I go . All the brass on the ground is fair game for any member to pick up if you want it. Ive probably picked up several thousand pieces to reload .

Mark

Sign in to follow this