Sign in to follow this  
jhop

Target of opportunity

Some us hog assassins were out pig hunting when, I spotted this coyote run out into the middle of a field at over 300 yards away. At first I didn't know if it was a pig, yote or a deer. Tinker closed the distance slowly while I continued to scan. We had closed to roughly 200 yards when the yote started to trot away then stopped. I decided it was now or never. So out I got of the truck and got setup for the shot. The yote had trotted off to about a 45 degree angle from the front of the truck and was better than 250 yards away by now. At this point I seen another yote coming into and out of my field of view directly in front of me at 200 yards or so. It was in a waterway and I couldn't always see the whole body as it circled what turned out to be a dead pig. I aimed right at the point of the shoulder where the neck meets it. The yotes head was going up and down as it tore meat from the pig. With wind blowing left to right and the yote facing to the right, I took the shot. I hit the yote in the neck right at the base skull.

post-19345-0-46930900-1489682396_thumb.jpg

post-19345-0-39192200-1489682436_thumb.jpg

Heck of a shot at that range. Big coyote, too. You seem to be on your game lately.

OP

Nice fur on that. How much meat did it yield?

I'll make 3-5 lbs of kegogi out of this one. It'll be tasty like the rest of them. Of course the back straps and hind quarters make the best cuts.

Any time is a great time to take out a 'yote, but it is especially true now as fawns are about to start hitting the ground.

Good shooting!!!

Nothing at all wrong with a target of opportunity!

Nice job!

Sign in to follow this