Sign in to follow this  
DesertRam

My first, and hopefully not last, auodad

After many years of thinking about Barbary sheep, almost putting in for the draw, almost buying an OTC license, a colleague finally talked me into buying a license earlier this spring. After many hard miles hiked in rugged, steep terrain, we put it together on our thrid outing and I was able to take a decent little ram with my .300 WSM at 271 yards across a canyon. It took an hour and 15 minutes to hike down, then up, then over to him, and a few more to pack him out after boning out the meat. But all that ankle-twisting, knee-jarring, back-straining work (oh wait, it's fun, right?) was worth it for my first Barbary. I think I'm now addicted and can't wait to try all that suffering again.

Troy10Mar2017BarbaryTrophy2-_zpstj0yjpza

Troy10Mar2017BarbaryTrophy3-_zpsp85jxkqz

Very nice Ram . Wish my old knees and body could stand up to walking the mountains again .

WTG!! The country looks challenging for sure.

That hide would make a nice coat.

I'm envious. Very, very nice. I would have to rent a helicopter, just so the goat didn't have the last laugh.

OP

Let's see: An awesome adventure in beautiful country capped by taking a terrific trophy....it just doesn't get much better than that. Congrats!!!

Let's see: An awesome adventure in beautiful country capped by taking a terrific trophy....it just doesn't get much better than that. Congrats!!!

And that's what it's all about!

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Here's a couple more pictures. We were behind the ridge in the distance (below the arrow) when we first saw the sheep. We waited until the moved laterally along that little shelf he's on, the worked our way around the bottom of the cliff and shot from where the red dot is.

Troy10Mar2017BarbaryFallenCloseampShotLo

For the recovery we had to climb down along the far side of that dark canyon behind his horn, then cut up (to the left in this photo) the canyon behind his body until we could intersect the shelf he's laying on. It's a pretty narrow and steep shelf with high cliffs above and below.

Here's a couple mule deer bucks we watched spar a little one morning.

Troy20Feb2017BarbaryHuntDeerFighting-_zp

And here's an early blooming Spanish Dagger.

Troy20Feb2017BarbaryHuntSpanishDaggerBlo

And the gear used.

Troy20Feb2017BarbaryHuntGear-_zpsjg0ypql

Great photos and descriptions. I like all of it.

OP

A nice ram indeed! Congrats!

I'm interested in more info on the hunt and where, if public land.

I have a good friend that has a hankering for an aoudad!

Sign in to follow this