amigo

Gander Mtn

Just read that they are filing for BK, and looking for someone to buy them.

I don't recall buying anything from them, but I have gone into the store on occasion to check out a firearm for "feel".

My impression was that they sold pretty much to MSRP; no deals there.

We have one store in San Antonio. They took over the Sportsman Warehouse.

I used to stop at the one in Corsicana before it closed a year or so ago. I never saw any real bargains there except on a "close-out" aisle, and what was there was slim pickings. Had the same experience with the one near Tyler, and I don't think it is in existence anymore, either. Not sure what market they thought they were filling, but it didn't work.

OP

Just bought arrow tips and a bow fishing attachment from them. Prices are cheaper online, but you get a real person (sometimes a hottie) to talk to about your ideas and how the items will work.

I've done business with them at the Corsicana , Waco and Fort Worth locations . Prices are high and service is really bad , have to hunt for people to help you .

I don't know what Gander Mountain was thinking when they built the store in Killeen. The place is hard to get into and even harder to get out of. I went there a few times when I was looking for something. The sticker shock kept me from buying.

I remember when GM filed bankruptcy years ago and sold their mail order business to Cabelas. When they came back their prices were sky high and the absolute last place I would spend money if someone else had the product I was interested in. I don't think GM ever recovered or revisited their business model.

I grew up in the time you could buy guns, etc., from Gibson's, Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, Foley's (bought a Remington 1100 from them), K-Mart (little closer to now) and probably several other places I've forgotten, as well as from ads placed in newspapers. There was genuine competition among those stores mentioned above, and you could usually find a bargain or a sale in one or the other most any time. Today's giants, by which I mean BassProShops, Cabelas, and maybe Academy more closely follow their predecessors than Gander Mountain ever did, but real competition is limited by the sparsity of choices, brought about I believe by the rise of online retailers like Midway et. al. I think the choices will be fewer in the future when it comes to actual physical stores you can walk into to do your shopping. I really don't see a continuing future for the online sale of guns, either, because sooner or later the "other party" will regain the political reins and continue where they left off on Jan. 20th. It may come down to only having one choice in the not-too-distant future. You might want to do your buying now, just not at Gander Mountain. I, for one, sure do miss the days of the jingle: "Gibson's, Gibson's, I love to shop at Gibson's, Gibson's Discount Center."

OP

Had a brother in law who worked at Foleys in Houston back in the 60's .With his employee discount I got my first Ruger super Blackhawk 44 mag for under 60. bucks .Sure wish I still had it .Also got 2 7.7 Arisaka Jap rifles with ammo for 40. bucks while he worked there Then my sister divorced him and no more cheap guns for me.

I grew up in the time you could buy guns, etc., from Gibson's, Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, Foley's (bought a Remington 1100 from them), K-Mart (little closer to now) and probably several other places I've forgotten, as well as from ads placed in newspapers. There was genuine competition among those stores mentioned above, and you could usually find a bargain or a sale in one or the other most any time. Today's giants, by which I mean BassProShops, Cabelas, and maybe Academy more closely follow their predecessors than Gander Mountain ever did, but real competition is limited by the sparsity of choices, brought about I believe by the rise of online retailers like Midway et. al. I think the choices will be fewer in the future when it comes to actual physical stores you can walk into to do your shopping. I really don't see a continuing future for the online sale of guns, either, because sooner or later the "other party" will regain the political reins and continue where they left off on Jan. 20th. It may come down to only having one choice in the not-too-distant future. You might want to do your buying now, just not at Gander Mountain. I, for one, sure do miss the days of the jingle: "Gibson's, Gibson's, I love to shop at Gibson's, Gibson's Discount Center."

OP

There is still a Gibson's in Weatherford. Privately owned though...

There is still a Gibson's in Weatherford. Privately owned though...

I've seen a few independents around, also, but have never felt the urge to go in. I think I would be disappointed at best.

Gibsons in Kerrville too... wish it were closer. They sale a little bit of everything from welding supplies to reloading supplies, hunting,fishing, clothing, rv supplies ,feeders,blinds,firearms,archery, plumbing, hard to find items.... more than what i remember them selling when i was a kid,more like a smalltown supply store.

OP, I don't think you would be disappointed at all, i can spend hours in there.

I just Googled Gibson's in Texas, and it seems that only in Kerrville and Weatherford are there any Gibson's Discount Centers left, at least in Texas, although I know I have seen a few stores other places minus the "Discount Center" ending. The article said the first one was opened in Abilene in 1936, and at one time had over 600 stores nationwide, second only to K-Mart. If I ever get back out to Kerrville, I will give it a go, for old-time's sake. Hard to see how they went out of business. I suppose Wal-mart eventually undercut them enough to do it. Just goes to show change is not always progress.

OP

We had 1 in La Marque before I went into the service was home several years later and it was a Wal Mart .