Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Need a little more help on case cleaning

When I got my tumbler it was a package deal came with pins magnet and solution . But Ive also heard about dawn and lemi-shine those should work as well as what came with mine..Have never noticed any deforming on any cases Ive had from 380 to 45/120 in it always deprime them and then tumble . Resize them after they are cleaned up .

Mark1945:

I ended up ordering 2 1/2 lbs. of the steel pins, and used them yesterday for the first time. This rock tumbler I am using is only 3/4 of a quart, so I used only 1# of the pins. I picked out about 50 of the dirtiest cases from the corn cob cleaning, the ones with the powder burns, plus one that was completely black from being outside for a couple of years. I used whatever dish soap we have, plus Lemi-Shine, and ran the tumbler for about 3 hours or so without checking. The results were amazing. I could not find the completely black one out of the rest of them. They truly do look like new, although I don't have a food dehydrator to put them in to prevent water spots.

Doing them in small quantities like this, I haven't seen the need for a magnet yet...I just pick out the individual cases, rinse them, and after all are out, I strain out the steel pins by pouring the liquid with the pins through a white cloth. I am working on a system to dry the steel pins, because I know that stainless steel can rust under the right circumstances, so I want to try to keep them dry between batches.

If I were doing 500 cases at a time, I would probably have to figure out something with the magnet, but right now this is working at about the speed I expected, which is slow, but okay with me. This is a hobby and a time-killer, and seems to be serving both purposes pretty well right now. If I were still working 8-10 hours a day instead of staying home with a sick wife, I would look at it differently, but it is what it is.

Again, Mark, thanks for your help, and if you can improve on anything I am doing, let me know and I'll give it a try. You have been very helpful, and I just wanted you to know that I have really appreciated it.

Jerry

I always use the corn cob media with a tablespoon of NuFinish car polish and mine come out clean.

I always use the corn cob media with a tablespoon of NuFinish car polish and mine come out clean.

I did that to start with, but I couldn't get rid of the powder burn marks near the mouth of the case. I also used the NuFinish car polish, but no luck. I even ran them through with the walnut hulls before the corn cob media, and the marks were still there (this is on 9mm pistol cases...haven't tried it on rifle cases yet). The steel pins got them clean the first time. You probably have a better vibrator tumbler than I do, and that may be the difference. Since I already had the rock tumbler (at least until my grandson reclaims it), it didn't cost much to try the steel pin thing, and now I know I can find the cases next year and still be able to use them. Getting the cases shiny new clean is not necessary, as Bennie has said, but this was kind of like trying to get that fish to bite that you can see but he won't take the bait....it was aggravating. Now that I know it can be done, I probably won't use it all the time except on the ugliest cases I can find.

OP

Jerry

If you are doing small batches like that you can dry them with a hair dryer to stop from getting the water spots , or put them on a cookie sheet and stick in the oven for a few minutes till dry.

Mark

Jerry

If you are doing small batches like that you can dry them with a hair dryer to stop from getting the water spots , or put them on a cookie sheet and stick in the oven for a few minutes till dry.

Mark

Yeah, I messed the first batch up by not drying them off, so I did them again. This time I just laid them all out on a big towel, and wallowed them around in it until they got dry. Seemed to work okay. I can't get over how dirty black the water is in the tumbler after cleaning a batch the first time. I suppose the powder residue inside the cases is responsible for that. I rinse each of the cases individually before putting them on the towel to dry because of that. May not be necessary, but it makes me feel better. I don't imagine there's much those steel pins won't clean if you needed them to.

Sign in to follow this