Sign in to follow this  
TheOldPro

Another One Again

I walked out into the garage tonight, and froze after about 2 steps. One more step would have put me toe to nose with another rattlesnake. Another little one. I had just re-gripped my grandson's irons, and they were within reach without moving. A pitching wedge did the trick, although my caddie suggested a 7-iron, which I thought was too much club for the shot. I used the overlapping grip, rather than the interlocking grip, because it

allows for a little more wrist hinge in tight situations. For those of you who insist on technical details about the kill, the club had 47 degrees of loft, the shaft was a Tru-Temper steel shaft with a mid kick-point, and topped with Winn Dura-Tech grips.

I thought I might be through with the idea of a snake den under the porch, but now I'm not so sure. This one, like the last 2 I killed near the porch last year, was about 12-14" long, so it was obviously born after the other two. There's lots of places in my garage for a snake to get under, too, so a routine trip to the refrigerator in the garage for a Coke has just gotten a little more interesting. As I mentioned about the last one in a previous post, most rattlesnakes have from 6-8 little ones per litter.

I decided it's time to mow the grass again, winter or not. On the plus side, I haven't had a skunk under the porch in over a year now. I think that rationale is called making lemonade out of lemons.

OP

Wow...you really do have an infestation, it seems. Several years ago I think we had to have a den of copperheads nearby because they were everywhere. At one point, we killed 13 in 4 nights. It has since tapered off quite a bit -- thank goodness.

This time of year , I would lean towards a den real close . Even with the warm weather , they shouldn't be too far from their den .

Golf is for people who don't hunt or fish. Archie

You're probably right. I've hunted and fished for 68 years, but only played golf for the last 58 years. Therefore, if you can't do all three at once, I must be at least 126 years old, and getting around okay still. Don't know if it was the hunting, fishing, or golf that has added to my longevity.

OP

Jerry , are those Diamondbacks , Prairie Rattlers or Massasaugas ?

Well OP, I was gladdened to hear your "stroke" was intact and on par for the course. A good lie is important in getting up and down. Since I am not a golfer, that exhausts my golf lingo. Suffice it to say I would consider some alternatives to a golf club in combating your infestation of rattlesnakes. A large automatic shotgun is my first choice. Good luck. You may want to get Capt KB down there for some expert help.

Well OP, I myself love to shoot, hunt and to play golf. Wedges are my favorite, because they are the scoring clubs. In college a life time ago, I lived in a rather run down house, that in winter time would be infested with large rats. I took out a big one with a 5 iron, because that was what was handy. I can only imagine the rush of taking out a rattler with a wedge. Good job.

Now if we can only manage to combine firearms with golf, that could be some fun. Assuming you can avoid taking out the bloke in the group in front who has to take 20 practice swings for every shot.

Jerry , are those Diamondbacks , Prairie Rattlers or Massasaugas ?

Bennie, I believe the small ones to be diamondbacks, too. I know the big one I killed under the porch was. Definitely not massasaugas, but I had to look up a picture of one to be sure, because I had never heard of it.

..... A good lie is important in getting up and down...... A large automatic shotgun is my first choice.

A good lie is useful in a lot of situations I would think.... :ph34r: .....A large shotgun of any kind would not have been par for the course in my garage, I'm afraid. It could have been fun explaining the holes in the car to my wife unless the snake had been the size of a boa constrictor. Even then I would have had to make use of a good lie.

Now if we can only manage to combine firearms with golf, that could be some fun. Assuming you can avoid taking out the bloke in the group in front who has to take 20 practice swings for every shot.

There have been many times I was glad I didn't have a firearm with me on the golf course, like the time the 4 women teed off in front of myself and another gentleman (or just one gentleman, depending on who's telling the story). After about the fifth hole of waiting interminably for them to hit or wave us through, I would have chanced the gas chamber for a .45 Colt. Country club women golfers should be outlawed by the Geneva Convention as cruel and unusual punishment never to be tolerated.

OP

I prefer Titleist Pro-V1's however i will hit a diamondback if available.

I prefer Titleist Pro-V1's however i will hit a diamondback if available.

I agree. At least Pro-V1s have the decency to sit still while I'm trying to hit them, unlike the snake. With the Pro-V1s, I play a hook. With the snake, I prefer a slice, however.

Holy smokes.....you are ate up with them buggers!

Got to be unsettling.

Only when I think about it.

How did you use the carcass? Kill it, eat it. If it was a baby was there enough meat for a snack? Baby snakes will kill you just as fast as the big ones.

Sign in to follow this