Bobby Tomek

scope for moonlight hogs

new-SB-zenith_zpskjhhxseh.jpg

Well, I have been selling off a few things, including some of my camera gear that has been collecting dust, and was saving up in hopes of upgrading scopes again one day. That opportunity came much earlier than expected.

Last week a friend of mine messaged me to let me know an auction site was blowing out brand-new Schmidt Bender Zenith scopes at prices too low to believe (more than half off the best online prices!). Even so, I was a little short on funds and not even registered on that site, so he said he was going to buy 2 and that I could buy from him or that he'd just re-sell it. So I got my butt in gear, sold one more thing and now am the owner of a 2.5-10x56 with FD7 reticle, which is similar to the Zeiss #60 (albeit with a larger illuminated dot in the SB).

I've only had it since yesterday morning but so far am impressed. While the Leica ERi does indeed beat it in daylight resolution/color/edge sharpness tests, the SB seemed to creep ever-so-slightly ahead once the sun was down -- and ANYTHING ahead of the Leica means it has to be outstanding because the ERi -- from a purely-optical standpoint -- rates as one of the best scopes I have ever tried. I hurt too badly to drag out all of my charts, etc., last night but plan on doing so when the moonlight is weaker or more diffused to get a more definitive feel for where this Zenith ranks in overall performance. But for now, I like it.

I currently have it on my 24" 7-30 Waters barrel and hope to see what the local swine population thinks of it before too long...

That sounds like one heck of a scope. Can't wait to read your comments after you pull the trigger some night.

Bobby that is awesome looking set-up. I really like the looks of that scope on your TC. BTW, what stock do you have on that rifle?

Thanks. That is a Boyd's buttstock with a semi-schnable forend by Dave Dolin. The buttstock is being sold later this week as soon as I get a Revolution thumbhole from Marty at Haus of Arms. While the Boyds is very nice and has served me well, it works best with scopes with an objective size of no more than 42-44mm. I am a stickler for perfect eye alignment and consistency in positioning to minimize any potential parallax , and the Revolution is more forgiving in that regard.