GonHuntin

Hearing protection while hunting??

Anyone have a recommendation for low profile electronic muffs?? The only ones I've tried drove me nuts when they rubbed against coarse fabric and in the wind. Maybe something with microphones that are less sensitive to wind??

Mark. I have the slim pair of Howard Leight, and they are not slim enough for me for rifle shooting, but okay for pistol. I've never tried what I am about to describe, but it might work: I used to sing with a group, and we did a lot of our singing outside, in the wind. The wind played havoc with the microphone I used, but I found that by putting a foam rubber cover (made for the microphone) over it, the wind noise was eliminated. You might try that with your electronic muffs, that is to say, temporarily tape some thin closed-cell foam rubber over the pickup holes, which already have some foam rubber in place, but not closed-cell. The tape alone might work without the extra foam. It might not work, but then again, it could be worth the experiment.

OP

WTXJ I have limited experience with electronic muffs and I realize I could turn down the volume, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the electronic muffs doesn't it?? In my limited experience, when turned down far enough to eliminate wind noise, I couldn't hear anything else??

OP I don't own a set of electronic muffs yet so I'm looking for experience to see what to buy and what to avoid.

Fair enough GH. I have the thin ones HL and a walker fat one. They all work to cut down the noise, but sometimes depending on the rifle and stock, they just don't work for me. The stock kind of pushes the headset away from my ear and of course noise can them enter.

Finally got the solid rubber plugs (form fit to your ear by making a mold of my inside of my ear) by my hearing doc.

Seen a few guys at gun shows that do this. I depend on my vision to hunt.

As of a month ago, I'm trying a new hearing aid called Lyric. Little tiny deal. They shove it in your ear and it stays until the bat runs out. 2 to 4 months.

You go back and have another put in with a good battery. Expensive, but I want to try them, insisted in fact.

So now plugs will not work as they go to far into my ear.

Will go back to the Walkers I guess.

Hearing is so important to me, I will not shoot anything without ear protection. As you age hearing gets even worse.

Try your best to protect what you have.

Mark, with the ones I have (Howard Leight Impact), If you turn them up full blast, the wind noise is pronounced on blustery days. On the plus side, I can hear cars coming down the road a long ways before I could possibly hear them without the muffs. But if you adjust them to what you might consider normal conversation level, it also negates the wind noise somewhat in really windy conditions. I believe you could probably find a compromise volume position relative to the wind noise that you could live with except under the worst conditions. I know there are some $300 muffs out there that don't make any promises about wind noise in their advertisement. The Howard Leights are selling on Amazon right now for about $42, which is $18 less than I paid for mine a couple of years ago. Any kind of creative wind-break you could come up with while in the field would probably go a long ways toward diminishing the problem also.

I don't have time tomorrow, but Thursday I will play with the suggestion I gave earlier about taping over the foam pick-ups and let you know if it helps or hurts. I don't think the tape would hurt the sound much, and it might just stop the wind noise. Again, my main complaint about any of the ear muffs is positioning the cheek on the stock. High scope mounts would probably solve that problem, but I haven't tried that yet. I haven't been in a hunting situation outside yet where wind and listening for a yelp or whatever have come into conflict.

OP

The tape over the ear pickup-foam doesn't work, at least not scotch tape. It makes the wind noise worse, sort of like the taut skin on a drum picks up vibrations. But I did find that setting the volume at about half greatly reduced the wind noise, while still allowing me slightly better hearing than without the muffs on at all. I had to manufacture my own wind this afternoon, so my test may be flawed, but I still think there is a way around the wind noise, or at least most of it. I'll try another approach again when the regular wind picks back up. It's gotten my curiosity up.

OP

I had to manufacture my own wind this afternoon,

OP

Please spare us the details on this one... :D :D :D

Please spare us the details on this one... :D :D :D

I've been accused before of having my head up my rear end, but this is the first time I've been caught at it. Good catch. ;););)

I am bad about using hearing protection. Never did all my life really so I don't think about it most of the time till it is too late. Really don't like to wear anything when I hunt because I like to hear what is going on in nature, whether something is coming through the brush, the sounds of birds etc. that might be a clue something is in the area.

Use a bow, no bang, no hearing loss.

I ended up buying a pair of the Howard Leight electronic muffs, figured if they didn't work for hunting I could use them while teaching CCW classes.

I have only hunted with them on one trip and they did pretty well in the wind. They do not muffle the sound as much as non electric muffs but I guess they get it down to hearing safe levels?? I would not use them for prolonged shooting of anything as loud as an AR15, I just don't think they would be enough.

Thanks to those who offered constructive suggestions, I appreciate the input.

I have used the surfire Ear Pro EP3's for years. They work ok. I mainly use those because of time at the range when I want to hear conversations.

Bought the new Walkers Razor XV last week from Amazon and have only used them once but they seem to work very well. Not sure I will use the bluetooth option much but nice to have. I did play with it some and was surprised I would hear surrounding noise over the music I had on. Have been impressed so far.