Sign in to follow this  
ticktock

My first Aoudad

I had the privilege of getting to hunt a small ranch between Sonora and Del Rio this weekend. We were there primarily to help reduce the wild hog population, but exotics were fair game. There are plenty of Axis deer on the ranch, but the only restriction we had was not to shoot button bucks or one that is in velvet. Does were allowed. As it turned out they also had Aoudad.

My hunt was going badly on the hogs, I missed twice on good eater hogs. Not sure what happened. The shots were a little tougher than normal, trying to shoot off hand while holding a flashlight against the stock. I missed one hog last night, and another early this morning. 30 minutes later, the Aoudad came in, and fortunately I had enough daylight to shoot without a flashlight. One shot, dead in her tracks. Thanks to my 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady 120 gr SST. Hit high on her right shoulder, clipped the bottom of the spine and out behind the opposite shoulder.

post-1251-0-95287800-1485738541_thumb.jpg

Nice shooting. It's always good when the hunt ends on a high note. Makes the long hours melt away.

Those 6.5s are awesome loads . I shoot the 129 grain SST , I haven't had a pass though on a body shot on anything . Of course heads shots do . Great job on the goat .

Thanks guys. I really wanted to bag an Axis. We had a group show up each evening at the feeder by the house. The big buck was in velvet, so no go. My friend did take an Axis doe. I passed on an doe Friday evening at 150 yards because I couldn't be sure it wasn't a button buck. Didn't want to insult my host, since this was a free hunt. Hope to get invited again. :biggrin:

CityslickerHunter - I asked around, and no one had any hard recommendations on how to have the meat processed. So when I dropped it off at the processor and just said do the standard butcher job. Steaks, roast and the rest ground.

You will be happy with it! Hill country auodad is good stuff! I would venture most folks that bad mouth them haven't ate any. I've only seen one in 6 years on the lease that was so rank it wasn't fit to eat. Congrats !!

Sign in to follow this