Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

2017 Axis Bucks

Went back to my friends ranch in Stonewall, Texas where the Axis are free-ranging.

We took these two nice bucks this weekend. I was hoping to take one with my GP100 6" but couldn't get close enough!

The big boy on the right was shot at 385yards using a Weatherby Vangaurd in Creedmoor.

4B6DAFCE-0788-4F84-B0E2-FACA2C39F028_zps

Congrats! There's something captivating about those gorgeous spotted deer.

Those will make many a fine meal, too.

Hopefully you'll get to go back soon for another try with the sidearm.

Looks like it was a great hunt for sure. WTG!!

Wish I could say I had taken a lot of Axis deer, but I can't. I've only taken one, in 1992, and it was a doe, but I still feel pretty good about it. A friend of mine managed a 3000 acre piece of land near Uvalde, and invited me to go with him one weekend to fill up feeders and hunt some, mainly to fill up feeders, I think. He drove me around the place one night, shining his spotlight on the hillsides, until he found a bunch of Axis bucks standing around about 100 yards away. He told me if I wanted one, to shoot it. I passed, as I saw no real sport in the set-up. The next day I killed the doe at about 200 yds. from a stand. No way to say for sure, but I think it ate a lot better than the buck I was offered. No way to know for sure, but that's what I like to think.

OP

I saw these elsewhere, but have to comment here too. Those are nice looking bucks. Do you save the hides? I quite like them as throws around the house. They look real nice over the back of a couch.

I agree! I like making pillows from the back skins too. They make great Christmas/Birthday gifts.

Hondo%20Living%20Rm%20Axis%202-640_zpspc

axishide.jpg

Axispillow2011-640.jpg

Yes, We cape them. A couple fellows that I know use the horns to make knife handles and calls too.

Bob, That's a nice collection you have there.

Sign in to follow this