Spent last week calling at a ranch south of San Angelo. On my last day to hunt at about 3pm I set up in a very small bowl shaped opening surrounded by cedars. It was warm and sunny and my intention was to try to call up a grey fox to photograph. So I get all set up with my camera and my rifle (just in case something better came in) and start with some nutty nuthatch on the Foxpro. I'm still dialing up the volume on the remote when I look up and see a head pop out of the cedars about 35 yards away. All I can see is the head and it is partially obscured by some dead brush. I reach for the camera but then I decide it wouldn't be a good picture because I can only see the head so I'm just going to shoot the dang thing. Settle the cross hairs just below the head and squeeze. Hammers drops but no boom from the .223. My bolt had lifted up a bit so the gun didn't fire. The critter was still locked in on the feather I had hanging from a mesquite so I quietly settled the bolt back down and fired. I see the critter go down through the scope. I keep calling because at this point I thought I had killed a grey fox and wanted to see if I could call another one. Called for another ten minutes or so and then gathered up my stuff and walked over to the caller. I glance over toward what I thought was the fox and notice that I am not seeing any orange at all on the hide. Hmm... Walk a little closer and holy moly it's a cat! My first one! I've called two others in that my older son shot but that was at night and they took a long time to come in. I must have set up right on top of this one.

DSC_1457_zpsy7kjhlst.jpg

Looks like a nice one from what I can see of it. Way to go.

OP

Congrats on the cat , always great when you call a cat .

Very nice kitty. Great job!