Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Tomek

moonlight spells darkness for this big boar

boar-moonlight-1-12-17-low-rez_zpsdwkb6o

The gorgeous moonlight and my inability to sleep for more than an hour or so spelled doom for a large boar in the wee hours of the morning. There was a strong south wind blowing, and I really didn't expect to see anything -- and I must admit being somewhat unprepared. I was barefoot on the deck peering through the binos when I spotted the motionless and out-of-place black blob to the West, so I stepped back inside, slipped on shoes and grabbed my 7mm Bullberry. I lumbered over to my shooting rest, and to my delight, he was still there, perhaps another 30 yards from where I originally saw him.

The range was right at 190 yards, generally too far to get a decent sight picture at night, but the strong moonlight and the wonderful optics of the Leica ERi 3-12x50 made it all possible. With the scope at 10x, I turned on the center dot, held on the vitals and sent a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip on its way.

I felt good about the shot, but I did not get audible confirmation of bullet impact, though the stiff breeze certainly could have been a factor. Driving to the spot, I immediately noticed a spray of bright, frothy blood on the parched and freeze-burned grass. The trail ended 70 yards later, and blood was much in evidence the entire way. The 120 grain BT penetrated the onside shoulder before wrecking the top of the lungs and exiting a few inches behind the opposite shoulder.

For those who doubt the Nosler's ability to penetrate something as stout as a hog, I am posting a picture below. But if you are squeamish, please don't scroll down. It's a photo of the exit, and it's a bit graphic. But it also gives a better indication of the hog's tremendous size.

Edited to add: Unfortunately, this boar was not edible. He had an infection on his hip that appeared to be a splash wound from a poorly-placed shot -- and one that came from something like a .17 HMR or similar. I am guessing it was a week old as it seemed to be in the early healing stages, but it smelled horribly and the area around it was very warm to the touch. I wasn't even going to take a photo of it but changed my mind this morning before hauling if off for the buzzards and other scavenging creatures.

boar-exit-1-12-17-low-rez_zpsenrfnihx.jp

This one actually did get weighed since there was no hurry to butcher. Let's have some fun. You guys can venture a guess as to the weight, and we'll see who gets closest. I know it is not easy to gauge weight from just a couple of pictures, but I bet you guys will get nail it.

Thanks! And, without giving any clues, I'll just say you guys are indeed in the ballpark on the weight. I had the advantage of seeing it in person and was still 9 pounds off with my guesstimate.

Keep the estimates coming...

I'll wait till 8 or 9 tonight and post the weight. But I'll say this: one of you 4 guys is really, really close... :D

Mark was only a pound off...nicely done!

The hog weighed 254. My guess was 245.

Yes, it does. The first was shot at about 100mm and from a low angle. The 2nd, showing the exit, was done with a lens that pretty much represents as the eye sees things -- and our vision does include a bit of perspective distortion. But it is the true wide angle lenses that really distort things.

I personally prefer game shots be done with anything from an 85mm on up to minimize any perspective distortion. But of course, that is not always possible.

Now as to what you won, I refer you to Jerry, who is in charge of the prize department! :D

I'm late , but I'd say 254 lbs . Put the Bullberry back to work . Good job .

Sign in to follow this