USMC-Mustang

Another successful NC Tundra Swan hunt

It was a cloudy, windy, rainy day but that is what waterfowlers dream of. Six hunters, six tags filled.... four this was their first swan.

post-251-0-50404400-1483839431_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-62113800-1483839561_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-79046900-1483839718_thumb.jpg

Those things are giants . What shot do you use on them ?

Do the swans generally fly as loners, or are they flock birds? Also curious if you can take either male or female (drake or hen?), and how you can tell the difference (coloration, etc.) if there is a difference. And I must say that you described the duck/goose hunter's ideal day just about anywhere. Add in the mud you guys were in, and it's just about heaven. Cold was always optional. I do miss all those fun conditions, but less so every year that goes by. At age 72, the definition of "fun" changes somewhat.

OP

That's awesome!! I would still love to come get one of those sometime!! One would look awesome on the wall!!

TheOldPro, swan typically fly in groups 3-10 but it is not uncommon to see a loner. There is no way to tell the sex of the bird but a juvenile bird will have gray feathers on his neck vice white feathers.

Slew, as far as guided hunts go, this is relatively affordable. $10 for the permit (lottery) and $100 for the guide (not included is the NC hunting license). Most taxidermist charge around $1000 because the swan are so difficult to deal with.