Sign in to follow this  
Bobcat

Finally Got My Axis Buck

After several years of looking for the stars to line up correctly, I finally got my Axis Buck on the 2016 Posse Whitetail Doe Freezer Filler Hunt in Mountain Home, Texas. I was hunting with Posse Member Ryan Longer (Longer's Outdoors).

Ryan, Sarge, and I headed out in the Ranger after all the doe hunters were in the field. It took a while, but we spotted the buck that Ryan had seen. Ryan and I slipped out of the buggy and stalked about 200 yards through the trees to try and get a shot. I found the perfect "Y" fork in one of oaks to use as a rest. I got a frontal quartering shot. I was using my 7mm-08 loaded with 140 gr. TTSX's.

He was exactly what I had been wanting. He measured 29". When I got to Castroville to the processor the next day, he weighed 96 lbs dressed and quartered, or about "2 Whitetails".

BC%20Axis%20Ground-ED%20640_zpsotpx04mn.

BC%20Axis%20Cap%20640_zpswjgzowuo.jpg

BC%20Axis%20Hill%20640_zps8tykoj06.jpg

BC%20Axis%20Hang_zpsdjdohzgv.jpg

That's a beautiful buck Bob, nicely done. I've been fortunate enough to take a couple does for meat, but never a nice buck. Like you - someday...

What a beautiful trophy Bob!
Congrats!
I can't wait to see what mount you choose to do with it!

Still waiting on my first Axis . They are about a pretty animal as there is .

Still waiting on my first Axis . They are about a pretty animal as there is .

I got my one and only about 20 years ago. Unfortunately, the nearest camera was 200 miles away at the time, in my closet with a full roll of film. I've been a list-maker ever since.

OP

Sign in to follow this