Bobcat

2016 Whitetail Doe Freezer Filler Hunt-Hunt Report!

What a GREAT Freezer Filler this year. We had ten hunters including two father-son teams. We took 10 whitetail does and a great Axis Buck. Nine hunters got does down, Sarge took 2, and we had one miss. Our hunters this year were: Bobcat, Amigo, Skydiver, 1st cav sgt ret, valverde, wildcards, wildcards2, Softballnrd27, Softballnrd27 II, and scrogw (all the way from El Paso!). Everyone fit together like a glove! We were spoiled this trip having Miss Madison, world famous Camp Cook, preparing all of our excellent meals including an awesome Oryx Chili! The weather was in the 70's the first day, but cold and windy off and on the last two days. We got 8 does down the first afternoons hunt!

We were hunting again with Posse Member Ryan Longer of Longer's Outdoors, his friend and "Manager" Madison, and Miss Madison, Ryan's daughter. Both Madison's are Posse Members too.

Ryan & the Madisons!

Ryan%20Maddies%20640_zps0xmxf545.jpg

This was our lodge.

Lodge%20640_zpsfrozyii0.jpg

These little guys were on the wall in the bedroom five of us were in. It beats counting sheep!

Bedroom%20Bucks%20640_zpsli4rtr00.jpg

This is most of the gang!

Group%20640_zpsrzn5opvc.jpg

Here are examples of one of our breakfasts and a supper. Madison, Ryan's daughter, named the supper casserole "Yum Yum Casserole"! .........very appropriate!

Friday%20Breakfast%20640_zpsta5jrwwm.jpg

Saturday%20Supper%202%20640_zpslu4qiry4.

Saturday%20Supper%20640_zpsodbpfron.jpg

Amigo and Skydiver, one of our father and son teams, were some of the first to get meat on the ground. I will let them post their own stories.

Amigo & Skydiver with Skydiver's doe.

Amigo%20Skydiver%20Doe%20640_zpspx7pbx8w

Amigo and his doe. (You will notice that Amigo is sporting some facial fuzz now.)

Amigp%20Doe%20640_zpsjkvzshmm.jpg

I was able to get a nice mature doe just before last light on the first hunt too. I took her with the 7mm-08.............of course.

BC%20Doe%20640_zpswcmcycuy.jpg

This blackbuck wandered by about 30 minutes before my doe showed up.

Blackbuck%20640_zpspfqmhsos.jpg

Sarge decided to take two does for the freezer this year. These are his two. I don't know whose the 3rd one is. The gang will have to fill in the blanks.

Buggy%20Deer%20640_zpsjkkum8uw.jpg

As many of you know, I have been looking for a nice Axis Buck for several years. I knew I would only take one and waited for the right time, place, and opportunity. This Hunt was it!!! Ryan had told me he had seen the "one" I had been looking for. With our does in the cooler, Ryan, Sarge, and I headed out early on the second morning after the rest of the hunters were all set. We drove around in the Ranger trying to see if we could locate the buck. It took a while, but we finally spotted him. Sarge stayed with the buggy and Ryan and I slipped out and began a slow stalk through the sparse trees. We went about 200+ yards. I was able to use a perfect fork in one of the oaks for a rest. The 7mm-08 and 140 gr. TTSX did their job on a frontal quartering shot. I had waited a long time for this moment. He measured at 29". He weighed 96 lbs dressed and quartered, or about "2 whitetails".

BC%20Axis%20Cap%20640_zpswjgzowuo.jpg

BC%20Axis%20Ground-ED%20640_zpsotpx04mn.

BC%20Axis%20Hill%20640_zps8tykoj06.jpg

BC%20Axis%20Hang_zpsdjdohzgv.jpg

Thanks for all the photos and the stories, Bob. I appreciate you posting it -- makes it almost like being there. And congrats on that fantastic axis buck. Not only did you get a great trophy, but I think axis might be the finest wild game meat on the planet.

Call us greedy! After the Freezer Filler hunt, made trax over to Bryan, TX to find some hogs. We had them coming in on camera and they hogs actually held to their schedule. Two down! I was using Flir infra red for spotting, then hitting them with a green light. Took aim at the glowing emeralds and squeezed off the rounds. This hunt makes three hogs in two weeks. Lots of bacon!!

post-20114-0-76501900-1483229509_thumb.jpg

I had just gotten into the stand and within 15min these two came in I got to break in my new Savage 7x57mm it was a good start 2 shots 2deer. Was great meeting some old friends and some new ones

post-13-0-46000700-1483271690.jpg

Happy New Year ya'll!

Sean (Skydiver) and I attended last year's hunt and had such a good time, we decided to go this year as well.

Sean and I headed out with Caleb to a pasture that had mostly exotics, but had some whitetails that needed to be taken out. We corned near a feeder and parked the truck behind some tall brush. The ideas was that when a doe came in, I would exit the truck and shoot. I was shooter up as Sean and I drew cards to make that determination. No whitetail does came in so we moved to a pasture on the other side of the ranch.

We were driving around the second pasture when we spotted two does walking almost parallel to us about sixty or so yards away. One was a mature doe so she became the target. I exited the pickup, and acquired the doe in my sight( a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40MC w/ #4a reticle. I wish I had bought four of these scopes before they were discontinued some years back). I was free hand, but leaned back against the truck for a more steady stance. When I thought I was steady enough, I squeezed the trigger on my Remington 700 SS Mountain Rifle in 7M-08(my go to), and sent the handloaded 120 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip into her spine. Venison in the freezer.

We drove around a little more, but it was getting dark so we headed back to the cabin. Sean would have to wait until the next morning for his opportunity. I'll let him post his story.

As last year, the hunt was first class. Super people, plenty of game, and we had great meals.

My son and I did some running and gunning the first night with Ryan and were able to connect on 2 does within 15 mins of each other. He ran us around a few different pastures with some crazy looking wildlife, we even got to see a white Buffalo. I had just finished building my 6.8SPC and this was the perfect time to get her broken in right. I got to shoot first and I dropped my doe at 212 yds with a double lung shot that didn't hit either shoulder so more meat for the freezer!! Not even 10 minutes after loading mine up my son was able to shoot his at about 80 yds. He made a good shot but she was tougher than mine and decided to run about 75-80yds. We let her sit as we went to pick up Sarge, came back to where Ryan threw his hat down, did a short track on her and recovered her. Three shooters, 4 Deer in the buggy on the first night was pretty darned good.16547.jpeg