Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Tomek

7-30 Waters & a brute of a boar tonight

Even though we hadn't seen any, deer behavior the past couple of days told me a big boar was likely around as the area whitetail had deviated from routines and become even more skittish than usual. When a big boar is around, they recognize the danger and just won't tolerate their presence. Nothing showed up in daylight this evening, so twice I took my 7-30 Waters -- with a KillZone light atop it -- to a shooting rest to scan the area. All I saw were a couple of 'coons and a possum.

But the third time was a charm. This boar was headed right to a feeder and was facing me when I turned on the light, so he caught the full effect of it in his face and realized something was amiss. He turned to his left and took off. But -- unfortunately for him -- he decided a semi-trot was sufficient to escape.

He was wrong.

I was able to swing the bold FFP plex reticle of the Swarovski PV 3-12x50 just ahead of his shoulder and touch off a shot. Recoil threw me off target, but the sound of impact was unmistakable. He was slightly quartering away for the 170 yard shot, and the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip -- launched around 2655 fps from the 24" barrel -- caught him tight behind the shoulder and appears to have lodged under the hide of the opposite shoulder, but I'll know more about that later. Thankfully, he dropped on the spot. Had he been able to run a bit, another 8-10 yards would have put him in a maze of thorns, vines and briars -- and retrieval would have been a nightmare.

boar-12-25-16-7-30-120BT-low-rezBW_zps2x

nosler-120-1_zpszajxp7up.jpg
nosler-3_zpslddb4evc.jpg

THIS is perfect testimony to why I love the Ballistic Tips at moderate speeds. This 120 grain 7mm broke a rib on entry, wrecked the lungs and broke through the opposite side shoulder, penetrating the 2nd layer of 0.7" thick cartilage (shield) before lodging beneath the hide and very nearly exiting. And check out the weight retention after such hard impact.

Performance could not have been any better in my opinion as the hog dropped on the spot.

And yes, those blue-tipped bullets are really 7mm Noslers. These were a batch of factory-first overruns from the Shooters Pro Shop that were sold as 2nds due to the blue tip.

boar-12-25-16-color_zps8mpyakci.jpg

Thanks! Here's another angle of the bullet. This one shows the retained length better.

nosler-120-2_zpsjqimwft9.jpg

You sure can't ask for better terminal performance from a bullet. I have always liked the 7mm, and my favorite back in day when I did a lot of hunting was a Browning Stainless Stalker chambered for the 280. Then I had Mark Banser build me a 7mm-08 and liked it even better.

Love your episodes along with your photos. Thanks for sharing.

Sign in to follow this