TheOldPro

Couple of Questions about Cleaning Brass Cases

I got myself a vibratory cleaner for Christmas, and I have a few questions about the best way to use it. (I cleaned my rifle brass by hand with steel wool because I never mass loaded. Now I'm loading for my pistol, and that method doesn't go so fast anymore).

I have both corn cob and walnut media to use, and I ordered some Nu Finish auto polish to add to the mixture, as many I Googled said they use it. Some also recommend mixing mineral spirits in with the media and polish. I'm wondering about that. I haven't unpacked the cleaner yet, and I don't want to put anything in it I shouldn't.

If any of you use any of the stuff mentioned above, I would appreciate knowing how and how much, and if there are any of them you recommend against using, let me know that, too. I probably only have 5 or 6 hundred cases total at present, and I doubt after the first cleaning I will ever have that many to clean at one time....more likely only a hundred or so at a time after taking target practice, and some have indicated that this could be a problem since the vibratory cleaner works best loaded full up. I figure running the cleaner longer could make up for that, but I'm guessing.

Any help, including the process you use, will be appreciated.

OP

P.S.: Trump officially won yesterday. Stock up on cookies and hot chocolate if you know any Democrats in your neighborhood.

Jerry , I use the corn cob media and most times I don't polish tem with anything unless they are extremely dirty . I will at times run the loaded ammo through the media with a little polish in it , but that is just me . Many others will have more info , but I am lazy and do the minimum sometimes .

. I will at times run the loaded ammo through the media with a little polish in it ....

Bennie, how much is "a little"? Are we talking a tablespoonful or a half cup? I'll probably try it without first and then with, just to see what difference it makes.

Last year, some place (Midway, maybe) had clearance prices on Hornady One Shot untreated corncob media, and it was quite a bit cheaper than the other brands. Works very well for me so far . Before that, I used untreated corncob media, which did just fine. When it would start to get a bit worn or if the cases were fairly dirty, I added a few drops (maybe upwards of a teaspoon) of the Cabela's brass polish. It's fairly thick, so I let the tumbler run about 10-15 minutes to make sure it was well mixed in before dropping in any cases.

So far, the Hornady media has not needed any polish added as it continues to clean quite nicely.

Years ago I tried the green-colored Lyman treated media and did not care for it as it left a lot of "dust" on the cases, even when the media was brand new.

Thanks for the info, guys. The consensus seems to be that the corncob media alone is probably enough, but if polish is desired, then don't go overboard with it. I imagine the time involved, i.e., how long to let the vibrator run, depends on the vibrator and how dirty the brass is to start with. Trial and error. I'm going to pass on using the mineral spirits unless somebody on here suggests otherwise. If anyone else cares to insert their formula also, feel free. I'll try almost anything once. Thanks again,

OP

I use the corncob media and polisher combo that I get from Cabela's. I put a couple of cap fulls in the media.

I tumble empty cases only. I would not tumble loaded ammo in the tumbler.

Tublers might get a little exciting , vibratory , not so much .

What Bennie said, but I use a 3 tablespoons of Franklin Brass Polish per pound of media.

I myself don't care for the red walnut stuff, makes to big of a mess to me. I go clean brass with Lyman Turbo Tumbler Media(corncob green). Then follow by putting 3 tablespoons of Franklin Brass Polish in untreated corncob media. Run it in the vibratory deal for about an hour. I have two of them with so I don't have to switch out the media.

Bennie, I can't help but wonder if running live ammo in the vibratory wouldn't have some effect on the powder.

Like Sarg said , I just run it a few minutes to take any mess off the case . Jhop , I've never seen a difference in performance , it is sealed . I have however had some that I didn't take some excess lube off , gather said while shooting pasture maggots , the reason I do it .

I use corn cob media and bought a 50lb sack of it from our local Farm and Garden Supply store a number of years ago. If I want a polish on the case, I put about a teaspoon of Brasso in the media when I clean the brass. Some guys deprime their brass and then clean, which I never do. It is a pain to have to pick the grains of media out of the primer opening. After cleaning the brass, I desize and then trim if necessary. Clean the primer pocket and then reprime the case. Then it's ready to be charged and the bullet seated. I have tried a lot of different methods, but the above is what has worked best for me.

For those guys wanting to use crushed walnut hulls for media, I would just go to Wal Mart and look in the pet section for the walnut media. A heck of a lot cheaper than buying it online from Midway or Grafs.

For those guys wanting to use crushed walnut hulls for media, I would just go to Wal Mart and look in the pet section for the walnut media. A heck of a lot cheaper than buying it online from Midway or Grafs.

You are right on that. On Amazon, they had the Lyman's walnut hulls as well as the pet store walnut hulls for something to do with a lizard, and the Lyman's was double-plus the cost and not as much weight as the lizard stuff. However, the Lyman's shipped free with Amazon Prime, while the lizard walnut could only be gotten as an add-on to an order over a certain dollar amount. I went ahead and got the Lyman's this time because gasoline to and from Wal-marts would have negated most of the savings. But the next trip for something else to Wal-marts will include the lizard stuff.