Sign in to follow this  
ICMCumin

Part Deux - Yote hunting with Bobcat

Had the good fortune of meeting Bobcat at my other lease near Cuero. To date have mainly turkey hunted there, but called the landowner and got permission to take either hogs or coyotes this weekend.

I got there Saturday evening so went out to the lease and saw a whole mess of whitetails on the way in and just outside the lease. Thought this was a good omen. We set up just inside the lease just after 6:30. Bob gave a single howl with his Buffalo horn howler by Sly Dog (fantastic looking caller too!) and then cranked his electronic caller. We had the wind and the sun in our faces.

Within five minutes Bob spotted one on our right. He was looking at us but still moving forward. I .....slowly...... raised ....... my........rifle, took.....off...... the ....safety, .......waited .... for.... him..... to ..... stop, ....... squeezed..... the...... trigger.....and missed the sumbitch. Durn it. About an 80 yard shot too. I either shot over hm or the bullet hit a twig - probably the former.

Just goes to show you that good hunting and calling skills don't make up for poor marksmanship. :angry:

We moved several hunderd yards away and set up again. Quail crossed the sendero in front of us. Man, I love to see that..... Bob called again and we were set up there for quite some time, but didn't see anything that we could shoot or shoot at.

We were walking to stand #3 when Bob spotted a coyote about 150 - 200 yards away. He went down in a prone position in a nanosecond. I got the yote in my binos - the biggest yote I had ever seen. (maybe 55 pounds or so) Unusual markings. Bob squeezed a round off that kicked up dirt into the coyote's eyes. Yote was rubbing his eyes as he ran off into the woods. DURN. Miss #2.........

We were walking to stand #3 when a yote trotted out in front of us, saw us and hauled tail. We were still dropping equipment when he disappeared into the woods. (This happens to me all the time when gobbler hunting this land!) We walked to stand #3.

We were 30 second away from setting up at stand #3 when low and behold, a coyote came out of the woods about 125 yards in front of us. We think it was the big coyote that Bob had shot at because he was still rubbing the dirt out of his eyes. He must have gotten a good education because he was at warp speed when his second paw hit the ground.

Well, we made two more stands, but had no luck. Fun day. Saw three, maybe four dogs, took a couple of shots and had a pretty durn good time. Kinda fun to hear the gobblers talking back to the howler in the early part of the hunt. Always fun to hunt with the Bobcat too!!!!

Hey ICM,

Sounds like you guys had fun. Sometimes the best humor comes from the comedy of errors. Those missed shots are heartbreakers, but usually make for humorous conversation later.

Glad yall had fun.

I had the thought in the back of my mind that maybe my scope had gotten knocked out of allignment so I went to the range yesterday.......... Well it wasn't the scope - it was either me or the bullet hit a twig. Still think it was me.....

That 788 (in .223) was nearly dead on. I fired maybe 50 rounds yesterday, with everything in either the 9 or 10 ring. The breeze was pretty stiff and I had to wait for the target to quit fluttering on several occasions too....... That little rifle is just a good durn shooter.

Its amazing how a trip to the range will loosen you up - felt like I had been on a two week vacation after an hour of cutting paper............. :lol:

Hey ICMCumin!,

Great time, huh? Fortunately (for me) success doesn't neccessarily translate into the number of kills, just the time/opportunity to be out there in God's country, and of course, FUN! Thanks,

Bob

(gunsetc) :lol::D

Hey ICMCumin!,

Great time, huh? Fortunately (for me) success doesn't neccessarily translate into the number of kills, just the time/opportunity to be out there in God's country, and of course, FUN! Thanks,

Bob

(gunsetc) :lol::D

Your exactly right, Gunsetc. Just being out there was the best part of deal.

The frustration of missing a 'gimme' was the problem - not bringing home the pelt. I am a better shot than that and make better shot selections than that too......

Sign in to follow this