Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Tomek

7mmBB and an unsuspecting boar

boar-2-dec17-2016-7BB120BT-zeissHT-4am-L

Woke up just after 3:30 this morning and knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I decided to grab my 7mm Bullberry, step outside and see if any creatures were stirring.

The heavily-overcast conditions made the viewing a bit tough, but I spotted what I thought to be a good-sized hog near the creek. I watched through the binos for perhaps a minute to make sure I knew what I was looking at and then confirmed it through the 3-12x56 scope. I turned on the illumination and proceeded to place the tiny red dot where I thought it would do the most good and touched of a shot.

The soft breeze was blowing into my face and made the impact sound unusually loud -- even to a guy with very little hearing left. The 120 grain Ballistic Tip flew true, ripping through the boar's lungs and breaking the opposite-side shoulder before exiting, dropping him instantly. The range was right at 160 yards.

On a side note: I think this may have been the first hog I shot using blue-tipped 7mm BTs. The Shooters Pro Shop had factory first over-runs a while back but sold them as seconds due to the blue tip. After being so accustomed to the red for all of these years, this is taking some getting used to as it just seems odd to me to see those blue tips in my 7BB shell carrier. But it didn't seem to make any difference to the hog...

Another "good" hog.

Been meaning to ask......on these middle of the night to early morning "fire missions".......how do you keep from waking your family?? :D Maybe you need to ask Santa for a suppressor to go on that 7mm DR ...........................(Death Ray).....

Glad to hear the blue tips work the same, I haven't tested any on critters yet.

Do you have any idea how many critters you have killed from the house?? Got to be a pretty big number!

Do you have a shooting bench and rest at the ready?? Pics??

I have no idea on the number, but since my health went south several years ago and I lost much of my mobility, I've turned to sniping from near the house. It's certainly not the same as getting out there and hunting, but it still keeps me somewhat connected to a hobby I truly love.

I have a couple of permanent rests near the edges of the yard along with my heavy-duty shooting bench just outside of the yard (believe it or not, a couple of times hogs have crossed in front of the 200 yard berm or rooted in it -- not the best of ideas.) And since I rarely drive anymore and have a pickup with a covered bed, I usually keep a couple of old sandbags on it, too. It's parked only about 20 yards from the front door, and the partition fence along with Bev's plants/shrubs in the yard give me cover, so all I have to do is open the door, go down the ramp and make those few steps to take a shot.

WTG Bobby. I really look forward to reading about your latest "hunt" and the great photos.

Sign in to follow this