GonHuntin

7-08 for the win

Haven't had a great deer season this year, chemo side effects really put a damper on my muzzleloader season and I got a nasty cold the first day of rifle season which took me out of action for most of the first week. When I did get to hunt I saw quite a few deer but no shooters, I did thoroughly enjoy the time in the woods though. Thursday morning I decided to head back up to the cabin and hunt Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday morning. The weather forecast changed my mind when it started calling for rain Saturday, so I changed plans and decided to come home Friday night before the rain.

I got to the cabin about noon, unloaded and set up camp, ate lunch and headed to a stand. I sat there until just after 2:00, stopped back by the cabin and then headed to the stand I planned to hunt for the evening. The afternoon and evening were beautiful but the only visitor was a squirrel.

Today started out strangely, I woke about 4:00 and went out to answer nature's call. Two steps out of the cabin and I hear the wildest sounds coming from the direction of the pond. I couldn't tell what it was, never heard anything like it before, kind of a cross between a high pressure relief valve venting and something being run over by a car! :D Interspersed within those sounds were occasional yelps from a canine. I went back to bed for awhile, awoke to the alarm at 5:45, stepped back outside to more weirdness......now, I could distinctly hear at least two critters fighting for all they were worth. I am pretty sure what I was hearing was either two coons fighting, or a coyote killing a coon, strange that it was going on at 4:00 and still/again at 5:45?? I wondered if someone had a coyote in a trap, but this was well inside my property, so I don't think that was it.

Anyway, I headed to one stand, got halfway there and decided the wind would be wrong, so I turned around and headed to one about 300 yards from the cabin. I climbed the ladder, got settled in and then realized that the wind wasn't really right for that stand either. By this time it was getting light, so I decided to stay put. About 7:15, I had two does, across the fence, headed my way......they got downwind of me and stopped, turned around and bounced off. Bummer! They were in the "corridor" where deer travel between properties, I figured that was going to be an issue all morning.

I saw a coyote about 8:00, then nothing until about 8:45 when I saw a doe to the east, picking her way through the oaks feeding on acorns. She was accompanied by 6 other does and fawns........I noticed one of the fawns bouncing around, followed closely by a fork horn. In just a few seconds, I could see a spike following the fork horn and fawn. Well the older does had enough of that and started out of the timber towards the fence crossing. The bucks came out of the timber north of me while the does came out south of me. My head swiveled back and forth watching the does to the south and the bucks to the north. I turned back north to look at the little bucks and one of them stepped out from behind a big oak......except it wasn't one of the little bucks, it was an 11 point. He looked to be a 3 1/2 year old buck......I looked at him through the binoculars.......then picked up my rifle. I looked him over closely, decided he needed to grow another year, laid my rifle back across my lap and picked up the binoculars.

As I watched him, I had 4 more bucks come out of the timber and start feeding......at this point, the does had crossed the fence and headed north west where I lost sight of them in the brush. I sat there thinking how wild the morning had been. I noticed the 11 point had a very distinct feature on his left side, 2 tines that started at nearly the same point on the main beam. I picked up my rifle and dialed the scope to 9x to get a really good look at the left main beam. I killed a nice buck a few years ago with exactly the same distinctive feature and figured it was this buck's father. The 11 point came face to face with one of the little bucks, they both lowered their heads and did some gentle "sparing"........the small buck's head fit completely within the 11 point's rack!

While I was looking at the 11 point through the scope, I caught movement to my left.......a bigger buck had come from the west and was headed for the 11 point. His ears were laid back and the hair on his back was bristled, it was clear that he was the boss. When I first saw the bigger buck, he was less than 20 yards from the tree I was in and he was completely focused on the other bucks. I immediately decided to shoot the buck but I had to wait for him to turn.......the shot was about 35 yards and he dropped at the shot.

The other bucks froze in place, then slowly walked around the area ending up south of my stand......I was able to get some photos of the 11 point.

Remington Model Seven, 7-08 Remington, 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, 45.5 grains Varget.

The 11 point that got a pass, should be a stud next year.

31238890272_e5f09a4905_c.jpg

31238890022_a82d4c4f57_c.jpg

As he fell:

31346733256_16806f6b96_c.jpg

31267953441_c50f964523_m.jpg

30575527393_ce43cafa03_m.jpg

30561444024_ba414b77c7_z.jpg

Wow...what a great story and an even better buck. CONGRATS!!! You are right: that 11 should be a dandy. I hope he makes it through the season and gets a chance to grow a bit more. Did you ever figure out what was making the noise?

Thanks guys!

Bobby

It had to be 2 coyotes fighting or a coyote and coon fighting, I guess it could have also been a coyote and bobcat fighting as I have lots of bobcats this year?? Whatever it was, the sounds they were making made the hair stand up on the back of my neck!! :D

I hope the 11 makes it too, rifle season ends Sunday....not too many people hunt the second week of the season, the rut is about done here and it is suppose to rain tomorrow (keeps a lot of people out of the woods).......I think he has a good chance of making it.

Gee, the suspense was intense! Glad the story ended with venison down.

For your next assignment, find out what the heck was all the commotion about. Inquiring minds want to know.

Congrats on a great buck Mark!! ............patience pays off.

Now............get on those coyotes!!

I also think that a bobcat was somehow in the mix. Back around 2002 or thereabout, I was fortunate enough to get to hunt a ranch in the western Hill Country. The first evening, I took a beautiful 8-pointer. The next morning, I got up early and was going to try and take a doe. But when I stepped outside of the cabin, I heard the most horrendous and unnerving sounds I'd ever encountered. To make a long story short, I decided to sit there and figure out what was doing this. It would often stop for a few minutes before starting all over again.

After a while, day began to dawn, and through my binos I could see down to the spring-fed creek. Within minutes, it started again -- and it was 2 big bobcats. I'm guessing they were males engaged in a territorial dispute, but the sounds they made certainly would put chills down one's spine.

The landowner didn't want any predators killed, so all I got to do was watch. But it was quite the spectacle for both eyes and ears.

Beautiful rack with lots of character to it. The striations up and down the tines give it the look I always liked in a good set of horns. Great story and hunt.

Great story and great buck . Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the time outdoors . Got my interest in the fighting critters as well .

Great hunt and thanks for sharing. Hope you get to feeling better. I keep you and Jerry's wife in my daily prayers and agree that cancer sucks.

Thanks again guys.....I feel really blessed to be able to get out at all!! I had to stop chemo for two weeks at the end of October due to side effects, but I'm back on it and doing very well. I'll have another scan around Christmas, hopefully the chemo is still working!

Ole Blood.....thanks for the prayers.

We're still praying for you and others as well . As you and OB said , cancer sucks , big time .