Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Tomek

(Con)tenderized pork for the freezer

hog-11-29-16_zpsum7jkife.jpg

Had a gut feeling about hogs during supper, even though they haven't been moving through here for a while now. There was no moon, and the KillZone flashlight was not mounted to any scope, but something told me to look outside anyway.

So I grabbed the 7mm Bullberry, set the Kahles CSX to 8x and turned on the lighted dot. I leaned the rifle over a sandbag with one hand and turned on the light with the other. Sure enough, I spotted some dark forms down by the creek. So I got behind the rifle and eased the light back onto the area. I didn't bother to count hogs or assess size. I just took the first opportunity I had and did so quickly, knowing fully well sometimes even the green light will send them into the next county.

I put the dot of the Kahles onto the vitals of the 160 yard target as best as I could considering this was a balancing act between rifle and shooting light, but luck was on my side as I was able to plant a 120 grain Ballistic Tip where it would do the most good -- and it anchored the 80 pound piggie on the spot. The bullet wrecked the top of the heart and both lungs before exiting tight behind the opposite shoulder. The exit was the size of a nickel, and there was a spray of blood for nearly 3 feet behind where the hog last stood.

Another one bites the dust . You and that Bullberry are killing machines .

Do you think you will ever "thin" the herd? As efficent as you are, I really doubt it. Keep after them and keep us informed. I really enjoy your successes!!

Thanks. No, there's no "thinning the herd" with my minimal impact because they move so much, and hogs that are here today may not be back again for a month or more -- if ever. Wherever it was from, this little hog was eating VERY well. For its length/height, it was a stout little number and about as healthy and heavy as you'll find around here for that age class.

Should make for some tender table fare...

Sign in to follow this