Sign in to follow this  
honestjohn

7mm08

Last week I bought the winning ticket for a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm08,I know we have some fans of this caliber on the board.I would appreciate if you handloaders would give me your favorite load,I have a bunch of different powder on hand that would probably work.

140 gr. TTSX

CCI BR-2 Primer

Rem. Brass

Big Game-46.5 grs. (47.8 Max)

2.800” COL

2800 fps.-.75” group 100 yds.

120 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip

WLR primer

44-46 grains of Varget

2900-3000 fps 20" barrel

I have used this load for 8 or 9 different rifles and all have produced sub 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I start at 44 grains and work up to best accuracy. Velocities run from 2900 to 3000 fps depending on powder charge and barrel length.

The 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip has an interesting history, it was "beefed up" for silhouette shooters and shares the same jacket as the 140 grain ballistic tip, so it is a stout bullet and really good for deer sized game. I, as well as family and friends have killed a bunch of deer, antelope, pigs, etc, 90+% exits on deer, in fact, I can't ever recall recovering one from a deer or antelope. Several of the deer were 200+ pound live weight.

As luck would have it, I loaded up a bunch of 7mm-08 ammo to test at the deer camp this week. Everything from 140gr spire points to 175gr round nose. If I remember to take pics, I'll post here later.

My daughter in law killed her first deer last weekend.......with a Remington Model Seven, 7-08, 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip pushed by 44 grains of Varget.....one shot, dead buck.

I like that 7mm/120 grain BT a LOT. Not only does it penetrate better than comparable cup-and-core bullets while still doing ample tissue damage, but it has proven to be surgically-accurate in a number of guns. Plus, launched at the modest speeds I start them at, they are still mild on pelts. I took a bobcat a couple of evenings ago with a shot through the chest, and the exit was still only dime-sized.

And as you and your family have proven, it's a heck of a performer in the 7mm-08.

I will have a hard time getting used to my "new" 120 grain Nosler BTs, though. I bough a batch of factory firsts that were an over-run and sold as seconds...because they had blue tips. After seeing red all of these years, that will take some getting used to!

Bobby

I bought 500 of those blue tip over runs too......they do look strange when you are used to seeing red tips but they were practically giving them away!

I haven't shot any bobcats with the 7mm 120 as our bobcat season doesn't start until Dec 1 and deer rifle season is winding down by then, but I can say for certain that coyotes hate them! :D At 2900-3000 fps, they aren't very fur friendly if you hit bone.

People that have never tried the 7mm 120 Ballistic Tip are really missing out.

Yes, the price certainly was right on those! I tested a small batch, and while there is a tiny and insignificant variance to the ogive compared to my last "red" tipped box, it's not unusual for Nosler, either. -- and you'll see the same from any manufacturer when checking different production runs . But the bottom line is that they group the same and register the same velocities. They just make me do a double-take when I first look at them!

I start mine a good bit slower than yours, so yes, given a starting MV in the 3K neighborhood and contact with bone, it certainly will do some damage.

The MV in both the Waters and 7mm Bullberry is in the 2650 fps neighborhood, and most of my shots on cats are in the 225-275 yard range, where the impact speeds are down in the 2100 fps range. With minimal resistance from a soft-skinned animal, they do little damage to the pelt. The 'cat the other evening was an anomaly as it was in a different area and only about 180 yards, but even then, the bullet served me well.

For years, I used the old lead-tipped Nosler 140 grain SB and the Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip with similar results. But even the soft recoil of these loads often flared the RA and neuropathy, so I dropped down to 120s. They impressed me years ago in single shot pistols and do so again now in my Contender carbines. It's unfortunate that some still equate the "Ballistic Tip" name with a fragile varmint bullet because they are really missing out on some of the best hunting projectiles available.

But that's OK, too, because it leaves them on the shelves for you and me... :D

The photo with the dime is the exit from the cat a taken few days ago with the 120 grain BT. It looks bigger than it actually is because I didn't wipe away all of the blood.

The photo with the quarter is from maybe 4 years ago and is the worst exit I've had on a 'cat with the 7mm Noslers. I was using the 140 grain lead-tipped SB and sent the bullet through the quartering cat at such an angle that it center-punched the opposite shoulder. Secondary bone fragments contributed to the exit's size. Nonetheless, it was smaller than a quarter, and the dealer still gave me top dollar on the pelt...

bobcat-exit-7mm120BT-11-30-16_zpssuqfp0a
exit-140NosSB_zpsfcfe28b6.jpg

I have one of the five AR10 Posse lowers and intend to make it in 7-08.

Sign in to follow this