Sign in to follow this  
Coyote EMT

Rossi M92 45 Colt accuracy

This weekend I was able to kill a doe with my 6.5 grendel Texas Predator Posse ar, and that got me to thinking I want to try for my buck with my iron sight lever gun.

Well long story short at 60 yards I am getting a 6 inch group. I have tried hornady leverevolution 225 gr as well as a handload of a 200 gr hornady XTP.

These are both loaded to 1873 specs not the high pressure rounds.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this setup and what could I try next to get a little better accuracy.

CEMT:

It's refreshing to see another Posse member admit that he is as lousy a shot as I am. Congratulations!!! It is a very exclusive club among us hunters. In the off chance that you did not intend to join this particular club, I have two suggestions. First, take shots at deer with said gun at 10 yards or less. Your accuracy will improve magically and dramatically. If this is not practical, then I would say you have probably not found the right load combination for your particular gun. If you reload, try a different powder/bullet mixture combination, or maybe a slightly more potent load with what you are currently using. There are three possibilities: your accuracy will be better, worse, or the same, the latter possibility being the least likely in my experience. I have never loaded for the .45, but every gun that I load for this has been the case. I'm sure some on here have loaded for it, and may be able to supply specifics that may or may not work for your gun. In the event you don't reload, try another brand. If your accuracy gets worse instead of better, don't despair. I will nominate you for president of our little club.

OP

I tried to get a shot at a doe this weekend with my 45 colt revolver but she never came any closer than 60 yards. I want to try and load up some different bullets but I really don't want to buy a whole bunch. I am hoping to get a general direction to head in. I really enjoy the use of iron sights but I have become reliant on that oh so wonderful magnification of the nikon scope.

I feel like having a challenge to hunt but I don't want to wound deer for the sake of the challenge.

A friend of mine has this same model/caliber of rifle and is very disappointed in it. Al is an experienced reloader and a former competition shooter, and he knows a thing or two about accuracy. He's determined that it has an unusually long freebore, a fact that could very well be the culprit, especially if paired with a rough start to the rifling. He hasn't given up on it yet and plans to try some fire-lapping this Spring.

Al said the ONLY combo that gives him sub 4-inch groups at 50 yards is a 255 grain lead bullet loaded to about 1000 fps with Unique (I think he said it averages around 3.5" but won't swear to that). But he also noted that the same bullet leads the bore badly and that it must be cleaned every 20 shots (that's what leads me to mention the rifling comment).

As an aside, I'll mention that he also has a scoped 20" Contender barrel in the same chambering and consistently gets 1-1.25" groups at 100 yards using a variety of handloaded jacketed and cast bullets. The factory-loaded Hornady LeverEvolution 225 grainer was right a 2", if I remember correctly.

UPDATE: I just called Al to see if there was any change with his rifle since my info was from early this summer, and he had good news. He finally found a combo that works well for him: a Cast Performance 265 grain WFN-GC and H110 powder. He said it is just under book max and that it is giving him 2-2.5" groups at 50 yards with open sights. He also said he can hit a milk jug every time at 100. :biggrin:

Those heat-treated cast bullets (basically perform as solids) may be the answer for you, too. I used to shoot CP bullets in .44 Mags back when I could still do that and even took a number of hogs with them. They cut a clean, wide wound channel and always gave quick, humane kills. Just be careful of your backstop as they penetrate exceptionally well and will shoot through even the largest of hogs.

And that is why I love this group of people. Thank you very much for that. I have some H110 on hand and I will look into the cast bullets. Hopefully I can get a decent group going.

CEMT, sorry to see that you may leave my club so soon. I will temporarily suspend your nomination for president until further notice. I was fearful you might get some good information from this group, which is why I hastened to post mine first. They just can't seem to leave bad enough alone.

Still President,

OP

Haha. I don't think I am out of the club yet. Sounds like a lot of work to be done still...

I've had terrible luck with Rossi's period until I started reloading. Bullet fit can be king in Rossi's. I slugged my barrel for bore diameter and went .001-.002" bigger in diameter using 250-265gr cast bullets with a BHN of 13-17 which shrunk my groups from 3"-3.50" to 1.50" -3/4" at 50 yards. I also found that H110 (296) and 300 -MP gave best results.

Anyways, best of luck!

Thank you!

Well I ordered some 255gr keith bullets to try out of the rossi. Hoping going up on weight will fix my issue. I will get them loaded up as soon as I get them.

Sign in to follow this