Sign in to follow this  
GonHuntin

For the "car guys" out there

Don't know how many other car people we have on the board, but I thought I'd post a couple of photos of a recent road trip and try out a new Flickr account at the same time..

The Talimena Drive is somewhat well know for beautiful fall foliage, spectacular scenery and a really fun road for those who like to drive. Susan and I have wanted to do this road trip for a few years but always let things get in the way of going. We are trying to stop letting things get in the way these days, so last Saturday was the day. We could not have picked a better day for a top down road trip.

I decided to do an oil change and general inspection on the car before we went, so Friday, I took the camaro off the lift and, after much trial and error, I got the 'vette up on the lift where it would be much easier to get the job done. Changed oil and checked fluid levels in the Transmission and differential and she was ready to go.

Took a quick pic while swapping the cars around.

30210070214_2158cc9186_c.jpg

Cool old building just north of Talihina, OK

30206769053_e391b80889_b.jpg

From

From the many overlooks.

30754384851_e07c6d32d7_b.jpg

Another

30206767313_0c503b6709_c.jpg

30725801382_04f5f8ef59_c.jpg

It was a great day, we hope to do it next year in the camaro.

and, speaking of the camaro, it is soon to get a transplanted LS1 and 6 speed T56 transmission from a 2002 WS6 Trans Am 'donor car".

My wife would go crazy over that Corvette. It has always been her dream car.

OP

Jerry

I'm not really a "Corvette guy". I have always thought I wanted a convertible and, a few years ago I decided I might as well get it out of my system! :D I started looking around and found out quickly that C4 Corvettes were the best bang for the buck in convertible performance cars. I started studying the different years and specs and decided I wanted a 1996 six speed car. 1996 was the last year for the C4 body style and, if you ordered one with a 6 speed manual transmission, you got the "one year only" LT4 engine. The LT4 has better heads, better intake, better camshaft, better crankshaft and crane roller rockers from the factory......it is exactly the same engine as in the Corvette Grand Sport. I spent months looking and finally found the car in the photos. It was a 46,000 mile one owner car, bought new by a man who had driven and loved Corvettes for years. He had passed away and his widow had kept the car for awhile but needed to downsize and decided to sell it. The owner's boyfriend was helping with the sale and really did everything I asked to make sure the car was what I wanted. He even did a 30 minute face time walk around and gave me a real time look at the car via the internet. The car was located in Monterey CA and I had planned to fly out and drive it home, but had to cancel those plans due to my mother getting sick. I took a chance and transferred the $$ to her account and made arrangements to have the car shipped to my home. I was apprehensive doing it that way, she had the car, the title and my money, but everything went smoothly and the car was everything I expected. The car was purchased new in January of 1997 and stickered for $56,000+..........including the price of the car, the cost of shipping, new wheels and tires and transferring the title, I have well under $20k in the car. Not sure about right now, but, when I bought it, it was the most performance for the dollar I could find! The C4s really are incredible value right now.......and they will surprise you with the fuel economy. On the return trip Saturday, I got just over 25.5 mpg!!

Bennis

I bought the Camaro in 1979, my senior year in high school.......dated my wife in it and used it as a daily driver for years. It is a 327 factory air, auto transmission car, I bought all the stuff out of a wrecked '69 camaro and converted it to 4 speed back in 1981 or '82.

It will soon have a 2002 LS1 and 6 speed T56 transmission powering it. I also have a stronger 8.5" rear end with 4.11 gears and a Detroit true track differential that will be going in. I'll also be installing the 4 wheel disc brakes off the Trans Am. Should make it a much more enjoyable ride!! :D

I've had some interesting rides over the years......I built a 1984 Ford Ranger "sleeper" back in the '80s.......it had a 5.0 HO V8 and 5 speed transmission out of an '84 Mustang GT in it. Looked stock on the outside, but it would embarrass lots of unsuspecting folks!! Also had a '67 Mustang fastback street strip car that ran 12s in the 1/4 mile, it was rowdy on the street!! Before I bought the camaro, I had a '68 chevelle with a 400 small block that ran pretty good. Had a couple of fast boats and, heck, I even had a vintage funny car for awhile!! Fun stuff!!

Anybody else have/had interesting rides??

V8 Ranger

Ranger.gif

motor.gif

'67 Mustang Fastback street/strip car 351 Cleveland 4 speed

mustang.gif

'69 Firebird funnycar

funnycar.gif

'68 Camaro

camaro1.gif

'66 Bronco

IMGP3361.jpg

Mark,

I've only driven one Corvette in my life, and what I remember about it was that it would go a whole lot faster than I wanted to go, and get there faster than I wanted it to. I've always like the Mustangs, a '66 Mustang being the first new car I ever owned. It had a stock 289, and was not fast by anyone's standards, but I have always loved the looks of one. If I could buy a new one just like it today, I would try to do so, and tell the grandkids to get in the back seat any way they could. Cars are sort of like guns....people like them for different reasons. I suppose my choice is purely aesthetic. My wife's family tended more toward the speed side. A cousin of hers modified a '56 Chevy to where it had more than 600 hp, and her uncle raced boats with Dan Pastorini, the Houston Oilers' quarterback many years ago. I think I have led a sheltered life.

I use to run street rods as well , but not to your level . Had a 67 Chevelle that ran in the low 12s and on a good day high 11s ., Use to race around town about every weekend , the police let us alone as long as we were out in the country or at the airport before it really kicked off , but did run it at Kennedale a couple of times , took top eliminator for the night both times . Had a 68 Mustang with a 289 that would scare a lot of folks .

Bennie

A street legal '67 chevelle that ran high 11s back in the day was a serious contender!!!

These days, an 11 second street car will hardly rate a second look......it is amazing how easy it is to make 500-600 horsepower. You can pick up the phone and order a 500+ horse crate motor and have it at you door in a few days. And, that 500+ horsepower motor will be extremely well behaved in traffic, won't overheat, and will get 25+ mpg if you drive it sanely! Add a bit of forced induction via a turbo or supercharger that fits under the stock hood, and 700-800 horsepower is no problem.......and, again, very well behaved until you stomp the loud pedal!!

There are a bunch of of folks running junk yard chevy 5.3 motors with stock shortblocks and heads with single turbos that are pushing 900 horsepower and running 8s in the quarter!!

That is some serious horsepower!!

That kind of ride would scare the poop out of me now . Don't know if my old body could stand the Gs coming out of the hole .

The transplant begins:

This is the "donor car", a 2002 WS6 Trans Am........beautiful car from this side.

30725575782_cf847a2746_c.jpg

But looks can be deceiving unless you walk around to the other side.

30725576412_13e321a826_c.jpg

Car was stolen and slammed into a concrete wall at the rear which spun it into the wall at the front. Damage is extensive to both front and rear suspensions and "frame", the rear axle was broken off at the housing (I replaced it so the car would roll)......it was beyond saving but provided a 59k mile all aluminum LS1 and T56 6 speed transmission for the '68.

The engine and transmission are removed through the bottom of the car, fortunately, I have a good friend with a two post lift and some spare time. Neither of us has pulled the drivetrain from a 4th generation "F-body" chassis but we had it on the ground in about 4 hours. We have another one to pull for my son's project car and I'm sure it will go much quicker after having done this one.

The engine cradle is held in with 6 bolts on the bottom, 4 bolts per side on the struts and it drops out. Of course, there are miles of wiring, fuel, clutch and brake lines, coolant hoses, radiator, drive shaft, transmission crossmember and torque arm that must be removed too.

On the ground:

30246012594_8325135990_c.jpg

This is where it came from:

30246012294_6c6e31b079_c.jpg

We pulled the engine off the cradle and bolted the cradle and suspension back into the car so we could roll it back on the trailer for the trip home. After salvaging anything I can use off the car I will be parting it out to recoup some of my money.

Boxes of parts that will be used in the swap:

30849885926_f3da29af5e_m.jpg

1 7/8" stainless Hooker headers

30769755462_3fd04dfba5_c.jpg

Hooker 3" stainless exhaust system

30849885476_1f5a9c3fe3_b.jpg

Also have a new fuel tank set up for fuel injection, engine mounts and transmission crossmember and all new gauges.

Not sure when we will start putting the LS in the camaro but I hope to have it in before the end of the year.

With the help of a good friend, I finally got the LS1 and T56 installed in the car. Still have to finish up the fuel system, have a driveshaft built etc, etc, etc........should be fun!!

unnamed_zpseegmcmex.jpg

unnamed_zps8qs0l3yr.jpg

unnamed_zpsl3qbbxxt.jpg

unnamed_zpsaz12nggf.jpg

It is coming together . Gotta love those old Camero . 66 through 69 were my favorites .

Looking good! ..............and is should keep you off the streets for a bit! :-)

Sign in to follow this