TheOldPro

Got a Ruger LCP .380 this Weekend. Now I Need Advice.

BassProShops had their Ruger LCP .380 on sale this past week for $229. I figured all guns, etc. are likely to go up after the election, so I decided to get one. That was easier said than done. You couldn't order them online, and the BPS in Round Rock didn't have one. Luckily, I went to the Dallas area this weekend, and they have 2 BPS stores there. Only one had any LCP's and it had only 1 left. I got it Saturday. The Concealed Carry permit speeded up the process considerably.

I know very little about the .380, except that the LCP is easier to carry in a phone-type holster than my 9mm, and that is why I got it, so I'll carry it when I might not the 9mm.

I need to get your opinions/recommendations on the best defense ammo for a .380, and what weight bullet. I figure given its small size, recoil might be a consideration. I know Bobcat has a Ruger LCP, so I figure he would be one good source. I'm open to what anybody thinks, however, so feel free to tell me what you use, and maybe even why you settled on that particular brand/weight/configuration.

Also, have you ever tried Ruger ARX ammo in the .380? It's only 56 gr., but it advertises 244 ft. lbs. of energy at 1400 fps. That's faster that any other I have researched, and with more ft. lbs. Is it a gimmick, or legit?

Finally, what distance would you consider to be right for shooting for a pattern? I know Bobcat shot his at 10 feet when he got his. Is that about as far back as I should go, or is there any point in backing up to,say, 15 yards? Remember who's going to be shooting here when you answer.

One more finally: when you are actually carrying the LCP, rather than just shooting, do you leave the "pinkie" floorplate on, or take it off?

I have more questions, but since you have probably quit reading this post by now, I'll save the rest for later.

OP

Here is my set up. I use both Cor-Bon 90 Gr. and hand loaded Hornady 90 gr. XTP's. Recoil is really not a problem.

lcpholster-1.jpg

lcpholster2.jpg

LCP Target at 21'.

Ruger%20LCP%204-22-15%2021ft_zps0mtgegua

I have carried a Sig P238 .380 for the past several years, on a nearly daily basis. I run CorBons, or Liberty Arms in mine. The Liberty arms is a 55grn supposed to run 1500fps and very low recoil. Corbons I think are around 90grns......box was in the old house....and still no real recoil. I have killed several Rattlers over the years with my 380, and finished 1 coyote.

Hope that helps,

Cal

I have carried a Sig P238 .380 for the past several years, on a nearly daily basis. I run CorBons, or Liberty Arms in mine. The Liberty arms is a 55grn supposed to run 1500fps and very low recoil. Corbons I think are around 90grns......box was in the old house....and still no real recoil. I have killed several Rattlers over the years with my 380, and finished 1 coyote.

Hope that helps,

Cal

You were doing fine until you told me you could actually hit a rattlesnake with the .380. Now I'm depressed. (JKOC) That's 2 votes for CorBon so far. I definitely like the low or no recoil part of that. I haven't had time to shoot mine for the first time yet, and I just grabbed some Winchester XSZ 95 gr. FMJ off the shelf on the way out. Says something like "training rounds" on the package, but I didn't notice that when I got them, or I would have opted for the Remington white box. I appreciate your input and time, Cal. Hope things are settling down for you and the family.

Jerry

Two questions for Bobcat:

1. Did you have to do any smoothing with steel wool or anything on the moving parts to get the gun to cycle reliably?

2. Have you applied paint to the front and rear sights to make them easier to see? I'm having a little trouble picking them up right now, and don't know if that is a good option.

1. Did you have to do any smoothing with steel wool or anything on the moving parts to get the gun to cycle reliably?

2. Have you applied paint to the front and rear sights to make them easier to see? I'm having a little trouble picking them up right now, and don't know if that is a good option.

No and no, but as always YMMV.

I shot the LCP this afternoon with the Winchester XSZ training loads, and I hope another brand or configuration will work better. All the shots were consistently low at 10 feet, most were about 8" low, some lower, but I think I'm pulling down some, too. But this load or the gun definitely is shooting low. Recoil was no problem, as you have said. I think I will order some carry bullets of any other style than this, and see what they do before I make any conclusions. At close range, this would have been okay, but not any farther back.

Update:

Got back out to shoot the LCP again to see if it still shot low. Note: I practiced getting used to the trigger pull last night for a good while. I shot again from just 10 feet, and the pattern was perfect for aimpoint....no low shots at all. I could cover all 7 shots with the palm of my hand. I know it will be impossible for some of you to believe, but my previous poor shooting was my fault, not the gun's. I'm beginning to like the little booger!! I'll try it at 7 yards next, after practicing the trigger pull some more.

OP

As an aside......I always felt undergunned with a 380 even though the small size made it convenient to carry; sometimes.

When Ruger came out with the LCPs, I bought one. It is only slightly longer and taller and is a 9MM. It fits nicely into my front pocket of anything I wear. I have an Alabama pocket holster for it. Loaded with Federal Tactical LE HST 147 +P ammo, I feel more "confident". This load is great from the short barrel, too. i really like the striker fired LC9s!

https://youtu.be/oM2AJm9VhYM

A friend of mine is a retired Fort Worth Police Officer , some of you may remember , he got shot several years ago . One of the rounds entered his right eye socket and blew up . Amazing for sure it didn't kill him , thank the Lord . He got hit six times with a .380 . I would have thought anyone shot in the eye with a .380 would die . I also think anymore , that I would go with at least a 9MM . I have a Glock 42 in .380 , I bought it for my daughter , but after Johnny got shot , I have my doubts about it .

I agree with both Amigo and Bennie that the 9mm is much more preferable than the .380, and I thought hard on the subject before I decided to get one. What made my decision to get it was the fact that I have not been carrying my 9mm everywhere lately because of the bulk of it. I haven't been able to get used to the inside-the-waistband holsters, and I don't usually wear my shirt untucked to cover up an outside holster, so I use the Sneaky Pete holster for the 9mm. It is bigger and more obvious than I like, so I have quit being as "religious" about arming myself every time I step outside the door. I'm hoping the .380 will be adequate enough to take a chance on when I don't feel that I want to have the inconvenience the 9mm offers, and will encourage me to carry something everywhere I go. I figure at the very least it's better than an empty hand. When I'm with the wife or grandkids, I'll be carrying the 9mm. By myself, most of the time I will probably settle for the .380, and hope for the best. If Christmas doesn't ruin me this year, I had already thought about Amigo's choice of the LC9 as a possible alternative if I can somehow get used to the type of holster it would need, which would be thinner than the one I have for my current 9mm. If Killary is elected, it may all become a moot point anyhow.

OP