Sign in to follow this  
Captkb

Which Do You Prefer???

When it comes to picking out a hand call, what is your material preference and why? I have made calls out of all kinds of wood, horn and even a few out of brass and aluminum. I know that how they sound is critical, but how many of you choose a call based on looks? In your opinion does any one material sound better than the other...................................AND GO!!!

A beautiful call is much more pleasing than most metal calls. But then again, I may be a snob when it comes to the exotic woods like Koa, Ironwood, dyed and stablized maples and the list goes on. An exotic wood with a cyanoacrlyate finish is hard to beat. Just my 2 cents. I also have some nice horn calls.

#1 is sound and how easy it blows. #2 is looks. I prefer darker calls that are harder to spot. I don't know why some call makers are making white or very light colored calls. Think how easy it is to spot a birds white breast at 400+ yards, and predators eyes are MUCH better than ours.

I use my go to hand call and it is a production call , some of you might know it , it is called Mini Blaster , easy to use and great pitch , I have dozens of custom and other production calls , even some from the great call makers here , they are all great . But if I had to choose one , it would be the blaster .

Ole Blood, I am right beside you on a lot of the exotic hardwoods. They look awesome and carry a great tone. My only issue is how expensive some of these woods are. By the way I am just now learning how to put a CA finish on one. What little experience I have with this, I am very impressed and hope to switch to this permantly real soon.

Bobcat, I hear what your saying, but there is just something about a call turned from antler that carries a great tone and looks good as well. Only issue I have with turning antler is I can never find a piece big enough to turn one the same style/shape like my wood calls.

Bennie, the mini blaster in my opinion is the best production call on the market and has been more many years. They are inexpensive and have a great range of sounds that you can produce with one. A simple design that works great!!!

Sign in to follow this