Captkb

His First

Last Sunday just after lunch, Parker tells me he want to go hunting. It's in the mid 80's and there's none of our hunting cloths washed. I scramble to get cloths washed and gear loaded. The whole time I'm thinking this is a waste of time and effort due to the weather and the only deer we have pics of are at night.

We get into the tent blind about 10 minutes before the feeder goes off. Within 10 minutes we have several coveys of quail under the feeder and all around our blind. Shortly after 6:00 he says "don't move"! My first thought was he is either joking with me or he sees pigs. Well it turns out two does and two yearlings walked up to the feeder pen. The does jumped into the pen while the yearlings walked right out in front of us at 5 yards. The first one looked us over for several minutes before bolting thru the broom weeds. This flushed a covey of quail and the does never thought anything was wrong. Parker starts to draw his bow back and his chair squeaks, alerting all four deer. This happened a dozen different times before coming to full draw. Once at full draw the biggest doe turns perfectly quartering away. He let's an arrow fly and makes a great double lung shot!!! She ran 50 yards before piling up. Using the 100 grain Toxic broadheads did the job, but the blood trail was pretty weak. His first bow kill and from his reaction it's easy to say he is hooked on bow hunting!!!

post-6-0-84094800-1476482048_thumb.jpg

Good to see. We need more like him. Great hunt, and a forever memory.

OP

Great job Parker and welcome to the brotherhood of us derelict Bow Hunters . It is an awesome sport , you'll find gun hunting not as much fun as it was .

Thanks for all the comments.

Bennie, its funny you mention gun hunting won't be as much fun now that he has started bow hunting. Just yesterday he explained to me that he was bow hunting all season.

That's great!! I agree gun hunting isn't gonna hold the same appeal it once did!!

Great job on the bow kill!

Waidmannsheil from Germany - wish bowhunting would be allowed here...

Good shooting. Nothing like that 1st bow kill.