Sign in to follow this  
cbp210

Youth Shotgun

My daughter is going to try out the 4H shotgun club in our area and I wanted to know if anyone here has experience in good competition shotguns for a 10 year old and what you would recommend.

Friend of mines son uses a Yaldez in his 4H shooting . He said he was going to see if his interest remained high before he spent the extra cash for a competition grade gun .

I shoot sporting clays quite a bit and about 3 years ago I got my wife interested in it.....now shes hooked and shoots with me regularly. I bought her a yildiz 20ga o/u to start with eventually planning on buying her a better gun if she kept interest. It's been such a good gun that I haven't had too. Last year i had to send it to Briley to get a firing pin replced under warranty (Briley does there warranty work) but other than that it's been flawless. We shoot quite a bit and it probably has over 5,000 rds through it already. I had Briley port the barrels and put a kick ezz on it for her also. For $500 its a bargain gun imho.

A lot of the young shooters start with a simple 20 ga semi-auto, if she doesn't have one to borrow from someone, try the Remington 1187 or something comparable, Browning etc. Many young shooters start with a shotgun that is too barrel heavy and have problems holding the gun up into shooting position.

Once she has established herself committed to the sport, than start looking for a "good competition shotgun" something that she can grow into and use in the future Beretta, Blaser, Browning all come to mind in an over/under configuration, stick to the big names for years of quality and continued performance.

Tell her to give shooting some time, you don't become an expert shot overnight, kids are short on patience and expect to shoot as good as the kid thats been shooting for 5 years.

Enjoy!

IMO I second the Remington Youth 11-87 20ga,I have one and I confess I like shooting it much more than anything else.In the youth configuration it has a buttstock that is adjustable for length and a 21in bbl to me it handles like a wand.

Sign in to follow this