Sign in to follow this  
DesertRam

Free Range Oryx

As I mentioned in another post, I pulled a tag to hunt free range oryx in New Mexico during September. Though I got skunked on the first weekend, I made it out again last Friday and found a lone bull in need of a freezer. He's definitely not a "book trophy" but he's a darn fine animal and will eat well this winter.

Troy9Sep2016Oryx1-_zpsjcoa7zp5.jpg

Well done , I've heard those free range Oryx are a tough hunt . Lots of good eating as well .

SHOOTER and I will head your way. We should be there in time for Gemsbok filets! <_<

Congrats!!! What were you using??

Any time you pass through southern NM Bob, you're welcome for steaks at this house.

The rifle is a Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM shooting my handloaded Barnes 150 grain TTSXs. It's got two oryx to its credit now, along with some deer and antelope.

Nicely done. Other than oryx, what does an oryx taste like? Beef? Venison? Bald eagle? (Just don't tell me chicken!) Never tasted one before.

OP

It's milder than deer or elk, and not as "wild" as pronghorn. It has almost no fat, so it's not as robust as beef. Have you ever had blackbuck? That's about the closest I can equate it to that you might be familiar with.

Sounds like a job well done. Now comes the "eating" part!!

Congrats Troy on a unique Bull. They are pretty animals. I saw around 50 of them over Labor Day weekend on the ranch I hunt coyotes on. It's a big ranch and not high fenced and they just found their way there from an adjacent property and no one bothers them so they are really populating.

...no one bothers them so they are really populating.

With few natural predators, they will do just that. We whack a bunch of them here and they seem to keep up pretty well.

You need to talk that ranch-owner into accepting your assistance with his up and coming oryx problem. ^_^

Have been seeing some great pictures of gemsbok this year. I guess the rains made them eat more! Were you on White Sands or off range? Would love to hunt them someday, but with a New Mexico non-res tag costing around $1640 dollars, it's a bit of a "suppressor"!

j, this was an off-range hunt. I drew my once-in-a-lifetime hunt back in 2000 and shot a 37" cow. I got back on the wagon with a 34" off-range bull in 2013, now this one. The wife has killed two on range, one as a population reduction hunt.

Sign in to follow this