Sign in to follow this  
Bobcat

TX Dove Season Open!

Waitin til Saturday to hunt our place . All the family and friends will be here then , except Hico44 and Kerry they both had to work because of plant commitments . Most of the birds pushed out during the big rains we had week before last , but got a few . Bar B Q Saturday if some of you want to drop by .

I didn't get to go today, but I heard a few shots around, but not all that many for an opening day. I don't think the dove were moving much, at least not around here. I was out in the back yard quite a bit, and didn't see any flying where I normally would. I do wish the hunters around here would honor the quitting time in the afternoon....too many shots fired after legal time is up. It gives hunters in general a bad name that we don't need. I know one particular bunch down the road that will shoot until you can't see anymore, and how they have escaped being caught I don't know. I'm hoping they will. Good luck to those of you who are getting to go this weekend. I hope to get out for awhile myself.

OP

I talked with several dove hunters around here yesterday morning. All limited out quickly. Heavy rain and wind pretty much killed the late afternoon............

No rain here, but a lot of shooting from at least one direction this morning. Also, quite a few dove on the hi-lines out back, which I didn't see yesterday. Maybe the rain pushed them this way. I hope so.

The shooting picked up this afternoon around here. The last shots were fired about 8:15 pm. I couldn't see my barn from my porch, but you could outline a dove flying, and I suppose they did, whoever "they" are. I feel like calling Operation Game Thief and making a complaint, but I doubt I will. I'm pretty sure they will be gone by Tuesday. At least I hope so. It'll help my blood pressure if they are. I hope everyone else sees plenty of dove this week-end. I'm going to try to fry up a few myself.

OP

Managed enough for some doves and gravy for me and momma this week!!! Catfished in my buddies pond at his ranch and sat in a blind after pigs one evening. A few ran by but none came to the feeder for a shot!! Good weekend!!

Worse opener I have had in a long time. Only got 1 shot so only got 1 bird. Wasn't a lot of shooting around me like normal. I guess they moved out due to rains earlier in the week. It was nice to see my Mom though and to be outdoors.

post-20998-0-64398900-1473098982_thumb.jpg

post-20998-0-58714800-1473098987_thumb.jpg

About the same around here . We managed to shoot 22 birds total . Just not many here after the rains hit , before , they were everywhere . I spent my time with one of my nephews , who is 12 , trying to teach him about hunting dove , he managed to get two on the ground , was darn proud of him . We did eat real good . Had smoked pork butts , 1/2 wild pig , chicken , sausage , ribs , beans , mashed taters and some more trimmins Saturday . Sunday we had a BIG shrimp boil . Wsn't much shooting , so we done lots of eatin and playing various games . As my God Daughter's husband said , it was organized chaos .

Sounds like you and all concerned had a very good weekend. The food you provided also sounds great. Hope the 12 year old is hooked on dove hunting for life now. You did good.

He is definitely hooked , he couldn't wait to get back out Sunday morning , unfortunately he only shot at three , as they weren't flying much at all . But we went and shot some clays with the kids doing the shooting . It was fun to watch .

Instagram video by @bopeacock32 • Sep 4, 2016 at 3-37pm UTC.htm

Couldn't find my choke case Thursday morning before heading to work, a little concerned with maybe losing it, but hoping in the back of my mind it was around the house somewhere, loaded shotty, shells, dove belt etc in truck and went to work thinking whatever choke is in the gun will have to do. At 5:00 PM sharp we headed north of SA and in about 15 - 20 minutes we were in the field and shooting mourning doves, we limited in short time, when i was done, I sent a pic to my son at college, and asked by chance if he knew where my choke case was, he responded "yes in his shooting bag" which is at my house, evidently I left it in there during one of the clay shoots. When i got home that evening I pulled the choke out of the gun and it was a skeet choke lol, I swapped it out for my favorite, light mod.

Saturday evening just about my whole family was hunting, it is our annual get together, brothers, in laws, nephews, nieces, sons, daughters, even my 95 and 90 yr young parents were out enjoying the evening and a few fresh "poppers".

Sign in to follow this