TheOldPro

Your Longest Shot Ever

OP, we are in a gated community of some sort for sure, lol! However, Bennie and SHOOTER have their very own Specially Padded rooms, and jackets with their names and addresses on them!

Don't forget Coyote. Right now he holds the keys to their padded rooms. I hope he had to drag that mule deer whitetail (I was unceremoniously corrected) the whole 1700 yards back uphill to where he shot it from. Would serve him right for showing off. I was thinking of mentioning a 325 yard shot on a red-throated hummingbird in flight, but it would seem paltry by comparison, so I won't. We mortals have to stick together.

OP

OP, it was a whitetail. Would have loved to have seen the shot you made on the hummingbird though. Now you are coming around....

Adios,

Gary

OP, it was a whitetail.

I am getting very depressed about now. At 1700 yards, using an old Weaver 6X scope, you could actually see the difference between a whitetail and mule deer's horns? Please don't tell me you could count the points, too. It would be just too much to bear!

OP

... Would have loved to have seen the shot you made on the hummingbird though.

So would I. :ph34r:

I did not say that I could see the difference between the antlers with the K-6 as I did have a pair of 10X glass with me. I do think that I could tell the difference in the two different species as the sun was shining brightly at a very low angle from behind. Had it been a mule deer, we would not have taken the shot but we had orders from the rancher to "kill every whitetail you see".

I heard that you took the hummer through the eye...

Adios,

Gary

I heard that you took the hummer through the eye...

Since by rule the polygraph is banned in this discussion....yes, that is correct.

OP, when I was a kid my best friend and I were out with the BB guns terrorizing the wildlife one day. My mother had a Mimmosa tree in the back yard, and the hummind birds were thick. My dear old friend said he did not think I could hit a hummer on the wing with that Daisy, and challenged me to give it a try. I drew down, and put a fine bead on one at about 10 feet, squeezed off a shot, and the darned thing fell! We whooped it up a bit, and held it up to examine the shot............when my mother walked out the back door, and we wished we were the hummingbird. Did not get a BB gun back for at least 6 months, lol! She reminds us of our sin that day every time we get together, and told our wives of it before we married. That was at least 25 years ago, but we are still in trouble, lol!

Cal

Cal, I have never killed a hummingbird, but the reason I chose that venue was a shot I saw my dad make on one when I was a kid. The shot was probably between 30 and 40 yards, but he did get it in flight with his .22, open sights of course. He was a dead shot with it at any target, moving or stationary. We shot squirrels out of the top of cottonwood trees that were 100 ft. or more tall, and we only made head shots, to save the meat and prevent them from going into a hollow or nest after a body shot. Later in his life, after his eyes began to weaken, I mounted a scope on a newer .22 for him, but he could never use it. Only then did I find out he was left-eye dominant, and all those years he had placed his head over the stock so as to aim with his left eye, which didn't work with a scope. So only by inheritance is the hummingbird story mine.

OP