TheOldPro

Your Longest Shot Ever

I wasn't going to mention my longest measured .22 Mag shot , but my character or lack of has come into question . I have a measured .22 mag shot at 318 yards . Down side is I have the same witnesses . Now Kerry was spotting for me one time while I was shooting at some pasture maggots and when I asked where my shot hit , he said heck I can't even see that far with my scope on 24 power , it was a ways out I guess you could say . On those shots I was again on my 22-250 with the Choate Stock , shooting a 55 grain Vmax bullet , sittin on top of 36.5 grains of Winchester 748 .

The scope Bennie, the scope. What were you using to spote a target the size of a gnat over a half mile away!!

Was using a 6X24 Sightron II . Really good optics for the money . After I spotted them , I had to back off the power to get enough elevation and using the bottom of the scope , aligned with the post . I shot two back to back one day and when I asked Odie "How far you think it is to that corner down there , he said ,your not telling me you shot one down there " . I had my scope on it still so he could see it , we never measured that one or two rather , cos the next shot I killed one on the same mound . Lets just say , Itruely believe it may have been my best , but can't confirm , cos we didn't measure .

368 yard free hand head shot on a turkey. Remington 25/06. My son witnessed it.

This is getting extremely embarrassing for me. I can't believe I actually admitted to a 200 yard shot on a coyote. Would you believe it was with a bow and arrow? I didn't think so. Well, it was worth a try. I had a feeling some of you guys could shoot, but this, as they say in the world of education, "exceeds expectations". I want to hear some more! I'm like a kid in a candy store reading these accounts. By the way, my shot was actually 201 yards, but I was trying to be easy on the rest of you by understating it so much. So far, I'm torn between Bennie's 1142 yd. prairie dog shot, and Shooter's 368 yd. turkey shot as the top contenders. I hope we're not done yet.

OP

243 yards on a yote and 275 yards on a 5 point ( 5 0n the left main beam and a 4 inch stub on the other) Both were shot with a 220 Swift, 53 grain Barnes bullets.

243 yards on a yote and 275 yards on a 5 point ( 5 0n the left main beam and a 4 inch stub on the other) Both were shot with a 220 Swift, 53 grain Barnes bullets.

Now that's within the realm of being human. Some of these guys on here I think may actually run on lithium batteries and small computers.

812 laser measured yards for this 6 x 6 Elk in Colorado.

.300 WSM with 175gr Barnes LRX.

The guy I was going hunting with warned me that in this area a 'close' shot was gonna be 500 yards, so I spent 2 months on the range with that rifle before we went, doing nothing but shooting 750 yard and 1000 yard targets. I had the scope dope dialed in for that load, and it came in REAL handy.

post-19405-0-88345700-1470252415_thumb.jpg

This bobcat at 386 yards. The Rock River AR with heavy barrel had an affinity for 69 grain sierra's or 70 gr Barnes bullets. I had been watching her for about 5 mins while she tried to catch a mouse, then when she did, she sat upright with the mouse held in her paw, giving me a nice vertical target (all I had to do was not mess up the windage and get a smooth trigger pull). Bullet went right through her neck.

post-19405-0-12417800-1470253691_thumb.jpg

I am impressed with Rock River Cat Man...I am not sure that I have ever seen a bobcat at nearly 400 yards much less kill it. Whew...I guess the longest shot I ever made on a critter was a very unlucky whitetail buck on the Big Canyon Ranch in Terrell County in 1976. The rancher did not want the whitetails on the ranch as he was afraid that they would eventually dominate the muleys which they did...so he told us to shoot everyone that you see. Jay Kothmann and I were hunting together and walked out to a windmill just before sundown, we had left the truck before daylight and had covered approximately 15 miles where we hoped to met Don Wootan and get a ride back to camp.

When we arrived, Don wasn't there so we began glassing. I made the wise comment that I would like to see a buck come off that hillside about a mile away, just to see if I could reach him with my .270. It was not a minute later that I noticed a whitetail buck on the lower slope of the hill and I told Jay, "Well I'll be dang, there is one and there ain't no way I can hit him". Jay started laughing and said, "You said that you wanted to try one over there...let's see what you can do".

I lowered my glasses and I am not sure that I could see him with a naked eye ball and had no idea how far he was. Jay kept after me so I agreed that I would try him one time. I estimated holding over the deer about 10-12 feet and squeezed the trigger on the old Savage Model 110. The buck never stopped grazing nor did he acknowledge the shot in any way.

I said, "Heck, there is no way and began to gather my gear". Jay said, "Come on, give him a little more elevation and try just one more shot". After a little more prodding, I nestled down behind the lamb feeder and raised the rifle 25-30 feet over my target. Jay started laughing and said, "now you have to keep shooting, you got him crippled".
Long story short, I shot at the buck seven times and hit him twice. I was hand loading at the time, shooting 130 Hornady bullets with 60 grains of 4831 powder, if memory serves me correctly. The rifle was sighted in two inches high at 100 yards. The optics were a Weaver K-6 scope.

After we got back to the camp, we found the windmill on a USGS map of the area and estimated where the buck may have been and it was a long way. John Williams, a statistician at Texas A&M Vet School took it on himself to estimate the distance on available information. He thought the distance to be approximately 1,700 yards, Jay Kothmann to this day, swears it was further. I just know it was TOOOOO far and it was just not that poor buck's day.

While this is no doubt the longest shot I have ever taken, I certainly don't consider it the best shot I have ever made. But that another story for another day...

Adios,

Gary

P. S. The first liar doesn't have a chance....

P. S. The first liar doesn't have a chance....

Okay, okay!!! I'll admit it. My shot on the coyote was only 200 1/2 yds. The first liar never had a chance for sure!! While Call Killer is in my neighborhood, I think I know whose neighborhood Bennie, RockRiver-Catman, Shooter, and several others are in. On the plus side, our neighborhood is certainly more exclusive. Why does that not make me feel better?

When I think about it, Shooter's 386 offhand turkey head shot story is the best or luckiest told so far. Old Pro we still love and respect you but I am going to have to work with you on your story telling...how do you ever expect to get any respect around here??? LOL!

Adios,

Gary

... I am going to have to work with you on your story telling...how do you ever expect to get any respect around here??? LOL!

Adios,

Gary

Did I mention the coyote was moving? His tongue was in constant motion lapping the water. That should count for something!

....and furthermore, your 1700 yard deer and Bennie's 1142 yard prairie dog probably died of old age waiting for the bullet to get there. Death by natural causes are strictly forbidden as valid entries. So there.

OP, we are in a gated community of some sort for sure, lol! However, Bennie and SHOOTER have their very own Specially Padded rooms, and jackets with their names and addresses on them!

I did pull off a double a few years ago with that old 243, both were about 100-150 at 12 and 4 O'clock, about midnight. Popped 12 and swung to 4 as I cycled the bolt on the Remington 600, and one whoop to check him, then dog down. 2 rounds, 2 dead yotes, and my first double on coyotes! Only rest I had was the headache bar on a mule and an old military sling.

Cal