amigo

Nikon Scope

I purchased a Savage trophy hunter xp in 22-250 some months ago. It is a great shooter for sure.

I was wondering what I would gain if I replaced the package scope (which I believe is a Prostaff) with a Monarch 3. I know their are some additional features, but is the glass itself better?

How good is ether one in low light conditions?

Should I replace the mounts and rings as well? I heard they aren't the most sturdy.

thanks

amigo

A LOT better. The Monarch excells in low light. I put a 3-12x42 Monarch 3 on my Savage Model 11 22-250. I also put a new Monarch 3 4-16x42 on my 7mm-08.

Nikon%20Mon%203%203-12x42_zpsxzenlwdh.jp

Bob is right. There is a significant jump in optical quality between the package scopes and the Monarchs. You'll especially notice (and appreciate!) the difference late in the day and early in the mornings. The Monarch's ability to resolve fine detail under poor lighting is exceptional in its price range.

As to rings, I use nothing but Warne. They are sturdy, rugged, reliable and maintain their zero day to day, month to month and year to year. Plus, mounted properly, they NEVER leave a mark on a scope. I recently sold a Conquest that had been in and out of Warne rings at least a dozen times. The tube STILL could have passed for brand new.

I also use steel bases.